Daily Compact And Repair (1 Viewer)

Dugantrain

I Love Pants
Local time
Yesterday, 19:11
I have a db on a shared drive in A2k which tells me about 3 or 4 times a day that it must repair itself. I have set it to automatically compact and repair every time it's closed and no users have complained about errors with their data, but I'm still nervous. I have looked through these threads and have decided to try to import all of the objects into an empty db and go forward with the new db. What's the best way, should I have it import one object at a time or should I just import all objects at once? And out of curiosity, what exactly is wrong with a db when it needs "repairing"?

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Access does not like it when a db is shut down incorrectly. By that I mean a PC lost it's power while the db was opened. A user does the Ctrl-Alt-Delete no-no to close your db. Weird things happen when a db is shared with multiple users on a network.

Educate your users on how to properly shut down the db when they are done. Also insist that they close the db when not in use and do not leave it open over night.

HTH

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
As for importing your current objects into a new db you can do all at once as Access will try to repair and objects during the import. This might highlight a problem object but I doubt it.

I agree with GHudson that it would appear that a user is improperly exiting the application. Perhaps there is a user that shares a computer with another user. The other user doesn't care about the first and when they need to use the computer they just go Start, Log Off without closing any open applications.

Autoeng

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom