Daniel Pineault - Devhut (1 Viewer)

Noson5434

Local time
Yesterday, 23:37
Good Morning! What happened to Daniel's website? 😳😭 It was an incredible resource. I hope it's a prank.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Good question. I have no idea, but have enjoyed him and his site and videos for years.
Great resource. Hopefully a prank or brief hiatus.

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:37
Interesting comment in the source of his page:
For anyone contemplating going into Microsoft Access Consulting, I say to you DON'T! Look towards the future and use a technology that is properly supported and compatible with all technologies.

So long, and thanks for all the fish, Daniel :cry:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Daniel has been 'threatening' to stop work on his site for some time, so I'm not at all surprised he has decided to cease creating any new content.
If you have read his articles in recent months, there have been clear indications in many articles that something like this would happen.
Indeed, at some point, that's a decision that all content creators make in terms of both time and cost.

However, I had hoped/expected Daniel's site would then stay online as an ongoing resource for years to come (as is the case with e.g. Allen Browne & Stephen Lebans websites)

I have emailed Daniel this morning asking that he reconsider and put his content back up. I recommend others do the same

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
It looks like he is working with Tableau and likely does not want to encourage competition from Access.
??? Not really sure what you mean here.

Source?

I think he's giving very sensible advice - it's a conclusion Daniel has been arriving at for a while now.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:37
I think he's giving very sensible advice - it's a conclusion Daniel has been arriving at for a while now.
He is right. Tableau is part of the SalesForce suite which is on a a massive global uptake curve.

SalesForce is what Daniel means by 'For anyone contemplating going into Microsoft Access Consulting, I say to you DON'T! Look towards the future and use a technology that is properly supported and compatible with all technologies.'

A significant part of my work over the past year has been about connecting our UniVerse database system with a SalesForce front end. If I were thirty years younger I would be looking to work with SalesForce as an integration consultant. My boss is telling me, whatever I do please don't retire.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
FWIW the countdown timer Daniel has put up on his site will expire at midnight on 30 Dec 2099 in his time zone. One hundred years exactly after the zero date in Access. Perhaps playing games...?

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Just spotted this today. I wish Daniel all the best and admire his dedication to his discipline I wish him all success in the future whatever he decides. I will miss regularly visiting his site.

Mike Krailo

Local time
I noticed this a couple of weeks ago and it is very sad to see the site go down. This can happen to any site for just about any reason.
Here is a comment from him in response to the situation:
After 15 years of losing moneys on the site, getting next to no support from the community who use my site, I decided to move on. Microsoft isn't winning anything. They're losing, losing one of their biggest promoters, supporters, big reporter, ... At a certain point in life you have to make choices, I've chosen 'me' in this VERY rare occasion. It's time to look towards the future and Access isn't the future and hasn't been for some time now. Will I do more Access video, no clue. Certainly not if I can't stay making a few dollars for all the work that goes into each one. So far I haven't managed to gain enough attention to make that happen either. Probably time to completely move on.
So it seems he is upset with lack of return on his investment. He hinted in another comment that he might bring the content back on paid subscription basis.

Last edited:

Jason Lee Hayes

Local time
For what its worth; the project I'm working on will be the last i work on using MS Access..
There are many reasons for this however i strongly believe I've held onto it simply because it's familiar...
No one likes change but historically i seem to be patching and recoding due to environmental updates/changes forced by Microsoft which are far too common and time consuming...

Local time
Yesterday, 22:37
No one likes change but historically i seem to be patching and recoding due to environmental updates/changes forced by Microsoft which are far too common and time consuming...
Been fixing a ton of code because of breaking changes provoked by those pesky updates 2 weeks ago and I'm not even using VBA. I hope those updates don't find you in your next non-ms-access project. It's infuriating.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@Jon
Have you contacted Dan about this? I can contact him through the MVP news group if you want me to reach out.
Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom