Data Access Page's (1 Viewer)

S

slough art

Hi

Any help much appreciated… :confused:

I have created a “data access page” using Access, so that I can display the content of a simple Access database online. When I test it locally it works.

This is the connection string:

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;User ID=Admin;Data Source=\inetpub\wwwroot\access_Jan_06\dynamic.mdb;Mode=Share Deny None;Extended Properties="";Persist Security Info=False;Jet OLEDB:System database="";Jet OLEDB:Registry Path="";Jet OLEDB:Database Password="";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=0;Jet OLEDB:Database Locking Mode=1;Jet OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;Jet OLEDB:Global Bulk Transactions=1;Jet OLEDB:New Database Password="";Jet OLEDB:Create System Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Don't Copy Locale on Compact=False;Jet OLEDB:Compact Without Replica Repair=False;Jet OLEDB:SFP=False

The problems start when I try and use it with my hosting company, and their ODBC manager to “add a data source” I have the following questions…

“what is the name that the script uses to connect to the source database?” Is it Admin? I can see “ID=Admin” above. Or is the name outside of the connection string?

My hosting company specify that I have to use the “full path” in order to describe the location of my database file, does \inetpub\wwwroot\access_Jan_06\dynamic.mdb look okay? They use IIS
Should I use the full path is describe the location of my database file in the connection string as well? In the example above I have, but surly dynamic.mdb is enough after all my database and my data access page are in the same directory, and if I use the full path I would have thought I also need some ..\..\ at the beginning of the URL..

Thanks

Kodo

"The Shoe"
Local time
Today, 18:05
DAP are a real pain the butt. If you manage to get them working on your host, then you'll be prompted with a box everytime to try to load the page that says something along the lines of "Do you want to load data across the domain".. I forget exactly what the message is, but you have to change a setting in IE in order to allow this. My suggestion is to move right to ASP.NET for this and forget DAP's even exist.

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:05
I concur with Kodo. If you are planning to use this on the web, anyone wanting to access your pages will have to download Microsoft Office Web Components, which only works in IE. There are many other possibilities, all of which will be better than a DAP. DAPs are only really designed for Intranets, where you have a controlled environment.

S

slough art

I had a feeling DAP's might be more trouble than they were worth...but I liked the idea of using them as they didn’t seam to need programming knowledge..

I would like to build an application to present a snippet of our database on the web, in a very straight forward way.

It has to be a snippet because of copyright issues, so one plan is to export only our web ready records as either csv or xml.

Does asp.net and the xml export sound like a recipe for success? My HTML and dreamweaver are fairly strong..

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:05
slough art said:
I would like to build an application to present a snippet of our database on the web, in a very straight forward way.

It has to be a snippet because of copyright issues, so one plan is to export only our web ready records as either csv or xml.

Does asp.net and the xml export sound like a recipe for success? My HTML and dreamweaver are fairly strong..

I would say the XML method would be ideal. As long as you don't need any "write" functionality, you can simply export the XML file from Access (use a query to trim it down to just what you need) and upload it. Write a quick XSLT stylesheet and you're basically done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom