Data in form (1 Viewer)

FilasLam

Local time
Today, 12:30
Hello,

Is there a way to mutate data within a form? So getting data using a form, then changing that data within the form. Instead of being directed to the table and changing it in the table.

I hope someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:30
That's a slightly weird question.
If the form is bound to the table or a query based on the table and the form is editable then you can change the data in the form?

Perhaps you can explain in more detail what you are trying to achieve?

FilasLam

Local time
I'm trying to make a user-friendly form where someone is able to extract data from the table, and is able to edit that data within the form. So that you're staying within the form and not jumping to the table.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Use the form wizard to create a form from a table or query based on a table.

That will give you exactly what you want. That is precisely what forms are designed to do.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
And what are you meant to do with the data after it has been amended?

I'm trying to make a user-friendly form where someone is able to extract data from the table, and is able to edit that data within the form. So that you're staying within the form and not jumping to the table.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:30
We are having trouble understanding the problem. All forms that are bound to tables/queries will update the underlying table/query (assuming the table/query is updateable - not all are) when the form closes, when the record is "saved" using a ribbon command or a button you build, or when the record pointer is advanced. Also if you are using a form/subform, the mainform record is saved when you move focus from the main form to the subform or from the subform to the mainform. There may be other situations also.

Access takes it as it's personal mission to save your data whenever you tell it to or whenever it decides it needs to whether you tell it to or not. Most new users have more trouble trying to stop Access from saving rather than trying to make it save:)

Can you give us a little context? Have you built a bound (table/query in the RecordSource) form? With bound controls (column name in the ControlSource)? Have you tested it?

Last edited:

FilasLam

Local time
The answer from Minty is what we had in mind for our plan B. What we really want is a form where you can extract data from a table, manipulate that data and save that data. All while staying within the form, so that you're not being redirected to the table. We want this because we're making it for someone with little experience when it comes to computers.

LarryE

Local time
Today, 03:30
The answer from Minty is what we had in mind for our plan B. What we really want is a form where you can extract data from a table, manipulate that data and save that data. All while staying within the form, so that you're not being redirected to the table. We want this because we're making it for someone with little experience when it comes to computers.
No one here knows what you mean by "...redirected to the table". What does this mean?
  1. Build a query that contains the data you wish to present to the user on the form. The query is based upon the tables which you have developed.
  2. Create a form using the wizard and when it asks you for a Record Source for the form, select the query you made. That process binds the form to the query so each field will appear on your form, just like Minty said to do.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
As everyone has stated.
Forms are used to:-
1. Data Input to a table.
2. Find a specific Record and edit if needed.
You can also put a Command Button on the Form that allows you to add additional Records.

Queries are used to :-

1. Display specific records by adding criteria in the design of the query.

sxschech

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:30
Sounds like you would like to take existing data and use some logic to manipulate it to change how it is displayed or to take the data and have it populate other fields based on the values. Then yes that would be done in a form and would need either putting some logic in the query or the text boxes on the form or perhaps even require code and command buttons or events such as after update as mentioned by the other replies you have already received.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No one here knows what you mean by "...redirected to the table". What does this mean?

It's been hours since Larry asked this question. Please answer it so we have a better understanding of your problem since anything you create manually or with the wizard will provide automatic save functionality without you having to do anything provided the form is bound to a table or query. That means there is a table or query name or an SQL string in the form's RecordSource and each control has a field name in its ControlSource.

FilasLam

Local time
What I mean by this is, is that I'm leaving the form and going to the table where the information is shown. I would like it to get the data and portray it in the form itself. Where I then can change that data and can re-upload it to the table. without ever leaving the form.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 18:30
What I mean by this is, is that I'm leaving the form and going to the table where the information is shown. I would like it to get the data and portray it in the form itself. Where I then can change that data and can re-upload it to the table. without ever leaving the form.
i suggest you secure a copy of any ms access book so you have general knowledge of what are tables and forms and how
are they related.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
You would never allow users to have access to tables.

You create Forms to View data from tables.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
As Minty stated USE THE FORM WIZARD.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
What I mean by this is, is that I'm leaving the form and going to the table where the information is shown.
But why? If you are developing this application for other users (or even for yourself), the user NEVER interacts with anything except forms and reports.

Clearly, we still don't understand your problem. You don't seem to be working with Access correctly. Try this. Post a picture of the form and the table. Then create a list, step by step, of what you are currently doing. Don't skip anything.

FilasLam

Local time
When I press any of the 'Haal data op' buttons on the first screen, it takes me to the second screen. Is there a way to stay on the first screen and getting the data I searched for in there?
Schermafbeelding 2022-07-30 om 20.35.00.png
Schermafbeelding 2022-07-30 om 20.35.20.png

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you want to stay on the same screen, why are you opening a new form? If you want to show the results of the search on the form that does the search, you will have to add a subform to the search form. You will need to change the Recordsource of the subform to include the search criteria.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom