Database corruption resolution needed (1 Viewer)

MilaK

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:00
Hello,

I've made a split database (current size 157,234 KB) and it was working well, until recently it begun to crash during data import. The error it gives "Unrecognized database format...". I have several procedures in the main module that first import data to temp tables and later insert into database tables. The import procedure doesn't always fails but it's difficult to tell what causes the issue. I'm able to recover the database from a backup and re-import the data from the same text files without an issue. I'm exploring the possibility of moving the tables to SQL server, if this will help. I'm seeking your advice how to troubleshoot/solve this issue.

Thanks,

Mila

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi Mila. Since you seem to be using temp tables a lot, just curious, do you do a C&R often? Also, was that file size of the FE or the BE?

MilaK

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Mila. Since you seem to be using temp tables a lot, just curious, do you do a C&R often? Also, was that file size of the FE or the BE?
I have compact and repair on close set. The size of front-end is 19700 Kb and the current size of the back end is 153,704 KB. I'm mostly looking for suggestion about moving the tables to SQL server and this will help resolve the issue. Thanks

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:00
What is FAR more important is to trace down the culprit here. What is the nature of the physical connection between front end and back end?

Do you have multiple users? What do THEY use for connectivity? Do ANY of them come in through a Wi-Fi connection or a known flaky network?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I have compact and repair on close set. The size of front-end is 19700 Kb and the current size of the back end is 153,704 KB. I'm mostly looking for suggestion about moving the tables to SQL server and this will help resolve the issue. Thanks
If you really want to migrate your data from Access to SQL Server, you could try using the SQL Server Migration Assistant (SSMA).

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:00
I'm guessing it is the front end that is corrupting.

In the past few months I have experienced frequent problems with that error while saving queries or importing data to tables in databases on remote drives. I think it a bug with Access. They are irregularly used thrown together databases that I don't distribute so I have not bothered to come to better arrangements.

Changing to SQL Server is unlikely to make any difference if the front end is the issue.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:00
although your database is split, do all users have a separate copy of the front end?

also are the imported tables going into the front end, or the back end. Maybe users are conflicting with one another in some way.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:00
"Unrecognized database format..."
This is a bug that has been around for a few months. I don't have the solution but if it hasn't resolved itself, you might try upgrading your version of Access (if you are using O365) or searching Bing or DuckDuckGo for a solution. I don't use Google due to their biased results but for technical answers I guess it won't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom