Database Design (1 Viewer)

Busto

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:23
I occassionally make small, uncomplicated databases for my dad, and the program in very new to me, so I usually look online for help on how to do things.

This time my question is on how to design a database. The purpose of this database is to act as a questionare given to residents in a medical program. It is supposed to have 1) The post graduate year of the person filling out the application 2) A unique anonymous 4 digit ID number that they put in, which will allow them to reaccess their form 3) 100 questions which are each answered by checking one of 5 checkboxes, the answer will then be transferred to a single space in a table, giving it a value of 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.

From this data, reports will be needed that give the average answer for each question as a whole, and for each separate post graduate year.

The basic idea is that someone will start the program, they will be given a choice to either create a new ID or put in the ID number. If they decide to create a new ID, they will be asked for a number, which they can then use to access their survey again. They then fill out the form, and reports will be made based on the data.

I am not very familiar with access, and really am not sure what is the best way to set up this database. This is purely for use by my dad at work, and I am not getting paid to create it, nor will it be sold. I'm just hoping that by asking experienced users I will save myself a lot of unnecessary work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:23
This thread has a good sample of the table structure and some Q&A that might also be troubling you. Just search for survey in the archives to bring up more discussions.

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33424&highlight=survey

I cannot encourage you enough to use a normalized table structure. If you flatten it out as if it were a spreadsheet, you'll need to write lots of code to get any statisticis out of it whereas by using a normalized table structure, you'll be able to use simple queries that you can build with the query builder.

Last edited:

Busto

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:23
That is exactly what my question is. What exactly is normalized table structure and how does it apply to my situation? I think I can figure the rest of it out on my own (if not I'll be back). I have read threads on normalized table structure, but have found them all confusing, and didn't quite understand it. I would appreciate it if someone could give me a good (easy to understand) thread on it, or show how it would be applied to my database.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom