Looking to Build a basic CRM database (1 Viewer)

russell12345

Local time
Today, 08:30
Hi Guys new to this group
I am hoping to build a basic CRM database that will suit my needs rather than purchasing an all singing and dancing one, and only to use 10% of it
My idea was to have a custom to what we need
Our requirements are as follows:-

Contact information sheet:-
With a section to keep notes on the conversations we have had

Then to make things a bit more complicated

We would like a button “quotation” and it will bring up a quotation template sheet
That we can fill in and email, all the quotations will be kept under a quotation number, and a copy will be saved in the customers notes or link

We have stages to how close we are to getting the order etc.
  1. contact name
  2. Size of the blades they use
  3. Send quotation
  4. Price okay
  5. Receive order
  6. Customer
  7. Too expensive
  8. No interest
  9. Lost customer

Hope someone could give me some advice on this

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:30
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Not sure if it will help, but you might want to take a look at this previous discussion.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
In my mind, it's probably not a question of how much of a comercial CRM you'd use, but how much the relative investments would be.

In other words, using 10% of a $500 package still costs $500. Using 100% of a homebuilt application that took 100 hours to create, at your current hourly wage rate, which has to be more than $5.00 an hour, is guarantied to be more than $500. There's always the self-satisfaction, though. So, it depends on what's most important to you--and to your organization.

russell12345

Local time
yes I agree totally with with that
I am a newbie so don't really know how long it would take me compared to someone who has a greater knowledge than me

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:30
@russell12345, I have 2 example databases with source code that you might find helpful:

1. My Contacts
in Microsoft Access

This one is simple, relatively, and designed for personal contact management so the database isn't split into front-end and back-end. It is easier to understand since it doesn't do as much, but is still fairly comprehensive. It also newer, so I like my fieldnames better.

I didn't make a video for MyContacts, but wrote a few articles about some of its features:

Managing Contacts

Cross-referencing Contacts and Lists

Pop-up Related Forms

~~~
or if you want something more complex:

2. Contact Template for Access

This is designed for others to build around and includes lots of extra tables that you won't need -- they serve as examples for expanding the contacts, depending on what business you're in.

videos:

Introduction to the Contact Template (30:43 minutes)

Projects, Tasks, and Time (3:30 minutes)

Both downloads are free and the source code is open, so you can change it how you need it to be -- as you learn more about Access and VBA

kind regards,
crystal

russell12345

Local time
maybe I can find someone to build me one from scratch, a very basic one

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
A good place to start would be the offerings in previous posts in this thread. If you can't use one of them as is, which is probably the case, you can still use them as starting points and as sources of information on what to do and what not to do.

russell12345

Local time
MS Access have a template called pipeline which is very close but not sure how to add on the extras i need

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:30
Before you look too deeply for solutions, do you have a list of requirements? If you identify a list of requirements, then you can compare some commercial offerings, and have a good start on your own application development should you decide to create your own.

Try Bing chat or chatgpt3 with "What are the requirements for a basic CRM application" for a basic list.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:30
Not sure why you would think that it is OK to ask strangers to build you a bespoke application for free. See how far you would get ringing up Microsoft. Don't you expect to get paid for work that you do for others? You joined us today and you're already telling us that our labor has no value. Not a good start.

You've been offered pretty good free samples which you can customize for yourself. Take a shot at it and you'll get help commensurate with what you are willing to expend to expand your horizons.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I am a newbie so don't really know how long it would take me compared to someone who has a greater knowledge than me
Depends how quickly and how well you can learn - but I would suggest perhaps 10 times longer.

a good developer will spend some time with the client to clarify the actual requirements in detail, suggest ‘what if’ scenarios to test the viability of those requirements. determine constraints around populating the tables, human interaction with the data and reporting.

once that is done, development can commence.

if it is not done development time could easily double as assumptions fall apart, new requirements surface etc, so spending that initial time is time well spent.

if you have the time and do not have a tight deadline, give it a go. Don’t make the mistake of someone I know - he decided to develop his own app for his business, took his eye off the business which subsequently went bust. And all to save a few thousand pounds

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom