database on cd (1 Viewer)

new_user

Local time
Today, 04:28
I am looking for some information\advice. I currently have an Access database comprised of my company's products. My company would now like to produce a catalog and send it out via CD. I would love to have the users pop in the CD...and the database pop up with a query window (which would help them find the product they are looking for), type in their information and their specific product appear.

However, if I copy the database to the CD, does my user have to have Access? Do we need to buy licenses for each CD going out?

Can this even be done?

What do any of you suggest?

Thanks!
I'm new at this,
Erin

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:28
Your user either needs to have a retail version of Access installed or you need to supply a runtime version that they can install. Search the Microsoft knowledge base and the archives here for information on the Access runtime version. Don't pay any attention to the posts that talk about stand alone versions of your db. That is just an urban ledgend that simply won't die. There is no product now, nor will there ever be a product that can turn your Access db into an executable.

new_user

Local time
Thank you. In your opinion, is this a good way to catalog on cd? Or do you know of any other ways (maybe w/o Access to accomplish this). The only bad thing...all the info is currently in MS Access 2000.

Thanks!

chewy

SuperNintendo Chalmers
Local time
are they going to be using this DB to enter info? I dont know how you are going to package this but if you just put it on the disc it becomes read only and the use r has to changet he properties to change data. You should be able to have the CD autorun and open the program and set the startup form to the query window. But again if you run it off the CD you cant change

new_user

Local time
No, they are not going to be making changing to it. Just entering in their criteria and then viewing a pic and info on their result(s). I haven't found much yet on the runtime version. Anyone know if that just has to be installed on the CD or is there more to it?

Thanks
I'm new to this!

pcs

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:28
just a thought...

imho Access is not the best way to do the project. using access will expose you to too many problems with your customers config, version of access, etc. and may, in fact, screw up you customer's pc. (not a very pretty scenario for customer relations) :(

a better approach may be using html, as most users have a browser and your project seems simple enough and should be easy to implement.

hth,

al

new_user

Local time
al,

so you're saying (remember I'm new - sorry for all the ?'s) that I should save my database as html and then save it to a cd? Will I still be able to utilitize my criteria search?

THANKS!

pcs

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:28
it would probably be easier to just create the whole catalog in html. there are many software products that will do this. also, you would likely be able to achieve a better graphical design by creating the project as web pages.

just an opinion...

al

new_user

Local time
All I have available to me is Frontpage right now. I'm not aware that they are able to do a search on multiple criteria.

THANKS for all the responses!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom