Database size not shrinking after compact repair (1 Viewer)

Dreamweaver

Local time
Today, 17:29
I have a db I'm working on at the moment which has been growing even though I compact at repair at least every day
It's current size is 154.184Kb so I created a new blank Db and imported everything then updated the options,It is now 12.800Kb
This has only happened since the last Office update.
My version is Access for Office 365 16.0.12730.20144 32bit

Has anybody else had this with the current version?

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:29
That is a radical change. Believable - but radical. Do you have attachment objects or embedded OLE or images in the DB file?

And the acid test is, does the new version work correctly?

Dreamweaver

Local time
Both versions work I've checked for any problems but unable to find any.

I don't use attachments of embedded OLE except on the spash screen.

The copy I made works exactly as it did before, I'm going to keep an eye on the size over the next few days as it might have been something I didn't see in the old version

HalloweenWeed

Local time
Today, 13:29
Are you working with a web-based database or BE? Try turning on 'clear cache on close.'

Dreamweaver

Local time
The BE Is fine it's the front end where I had the problem, It's a basic FE/BE Arrangement.

I'm working with the ERD at the minute as was importing and updating a lot of objects which may have accounted for it, but as I said it was compacted daily sometimes more than once.

thanks mick

HalloweenWeed

Local time
Today, 13:29
The BE Is fine it's the front end where I had the problem, It's a basic FE/BE Arrangement.

I'm working with the ERD at the minute as was importing and updating a lot of objects which may have accounted for it, but as I said it was compacted daily sometimes more than once.

thanks mick
I believe it's the FE that caches, not the BE.

Dreamweaver

Local time
First time I've heard that one, As fare as I'm aware when a access database is compacted it removes all the built up junk Etc, at least that the way it's always worked for me.

There are a few who would know better than me if they see it I'm sure they will have some imput.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:29
The cache more or less has to be in the FE because that is where the workspace is located. So I'm agreeing with your guess about cache location, MickJav.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom