Database size!!! (1 Viewer)

davea300

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:17
I have a .mdb file (access 2003) which has ballooned in size to 1.2GB and I'm not sure why. I tried deleting some older tables (which were copies and had about 38,000 rows each) but it hasn't made a dent. Is there a way to show all the database elements tables, forms, macros, modules etc and list their sizes so I can see what has caused the size to increase?

There are 3 tables linked via ODBC which have tens of thousands of rows but as these are linked I wouldn't have thought they would have increased the size at all?

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Try a Compact & Repair..

When you delete tables/objects/rows in table the allocated space for those objects are not reclaimed (Garbage collection) unlike some sophisticated programs.. You have to do it, so a constant Compact and Repair will make sure your DB is always reclaiming any garbage space and also increases the efficiency of the working...

davea300

Registered User.
Local time
already have, went from 1.25GB to 1.15GB :)

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:17
That really isn't the change in size I would expect. 1.15GB seems a quite large database.
Not excessive, but if you have deleted " a lot", I'd expect a bigger reduction.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Do you use any images or temp files?

Simon

davea300

Registered User.
Local time
There are some image files associated with some records but these haven't increased in number for over a year now. I take it there is no built in method for me to analyse each element of the database so I can figure out whats causing the size to increase?

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
So what is the new change that you made in the last few weeks? Backtrack your steps.. Any suspicious coding?

davea300

Registered User.
Local time
The only thing I've added recently is 3 linked tables to an oracle database. nothing else apart from a few minor form corrections.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
would it be possible to remove the images, to see if that makes a difference.

images seem to be the main reason for size increases. I know my databases of this size would have at least a million records.

the only other thing is a lot of very large memo fields. numbers only occupy a handful of bytes, but long strings could use a lot of space.

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
So if you delete the Linked tables, perform a Compact and Repair and then Relink.. See if that helps.. I have not used ODBC in my application, so I am not sure how that would affect this enormous size growth..

Christian1977

Business Analyst
Local time
Today, 11:17
Hi,

I'll try these way:

1) Import all DB in microsoft Office 2010
2) Import the 3 tables linked via ODBC in a new DB and then link these three tables on the main DB

Really interesting the question about a way to show all the database elements tables, forms, macros, modules etc and list their sizes.

Let me know,

Christian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom