Question Date Stamping Comments - Help (Column History) (1 Viewer)

debslucy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:38
Hi
Firstly i am totally thick - my company have asked me to do this programming data base on Access and i am totally lost - a whizz at Excel but just not grasping Access at all to be honest.
I need to date stamp comments that are input on a form - i think the formula i have to use is this 'Column History'

=ColumnHistory([RecordSource],"comments","[ID]=" &
>> Nz([ID],0)) ,

But on using it, it just returns a #type!

Does anyone now where i find the solution to this? Its way over my head - i'll even pay for the answer or make a donations - my head is just totally battered by all of this . I'm not very jargony either so as simple as possible explanations please.
If anyone is willing to help me i would be ever so grateful,
Hope some one can help a thick geordie damsel in distress.
Thanks
Deborah:D:rolleyes:

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Couple of things

Are you adding new comments to existing comments
Or are you adding additional comments to existing comments for existing records?
Or both?

What version of Access are you using?

debslucy

Registered User.
Local time
Couple of things

Are you adding new comments to existing comments
Or are you adding additional comments to existing comments for existing records?
Or both?

What version of Access are you using?

Many thanks for replying.
I am trying to add new comments in a comments box, which then fills a history box.
Would you like to see what i have done? Would that help.
I am using Access 2010.
Many thanks
Deborah

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Do not have 2010 only 2007, if you can save it to an earlier version then post it

debslucy

Registered User.
Local time
Do not have 2010 only 2007, if you can save it to an earlier version then post it

Actually it does save Access 2007 on the spreadsheet - here you go, the spreadsheet still needs working on, i know but i think i am nearly there. Your comments on it all would be very much appreciated, its my first time so please be gentle with me.
Thanks
Deborah

Attachments

• furniture 3.accdb
    2 MB · Views: 145

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
My 2007 version does not recognise it. You also need to compact it first before posting.

debslucy

Registered User.
Local time
My 2007 version does not recognise it. You also need to compact it first before posting.

Hi
See this is how stupid i am - its took me all this time to try and suss out out to compact it all - hope this is workable now.

Thanks
Deborah

Attachments

• furniture test 16 April 2011.accdb
    572 KB · Views: 119

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Still can't open it. You need to create a blank 2007 accdb and import all the objects into it.

debslucy

Registered User.
Local time
Still can't open it. You need to create a blank 2007 accdb and import all the objects into it.

God i am really sorry about this - i have created the blank thing and think i have imported this right.
Here goes!
Deborah

Attachments

• Database9.accdb
    588 KB · Views: 131

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Sorry Debs, don't know what's happening but I still can't open it. On of the issues may be that some of the features you have used in your app arre not backwardly compatable with 2007. Hopefully someone with 2010 can interject and help out.

I have an idea what the issue is but I don't want to send you down the wrong path if I am not right.

debslucy

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry Debs, don't know what's happening but I still can't open it. On of the issues may be that some of the features you have used in your app arre not backwardly compatable with 2007. Hopefully someone with 2010 can interject and help out.

I have an idea what the issue is but I don't want to send you down the wrong path if I am not right.

Thanks so much for trying. I know i first saw the formula on, i am sure it was a contacts database template. It allows the comments you enter to then be date stamped into a like history field. If you can help in any way or have any ideas i would be grateful I am willing to try anything really.

Many thanks again.
Deborah

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
It appears another member has your app opened so expect a response soon.

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
If you go to Quick Links and select the bottom menu item Who's Online you can see who's on line and what they are doing. You won't see me as my profile is set to invisible.

Local time
Today, 17:38
Hi to both DCrake and DebsLucy,
I have spent over half hour with the database trying to get it into A2007 but no luck.
I removed the calculated field in the table and the character '@' in the field format property of most of the fields - the '@' appears for fields that have been imported from Excel.

The major problem is that this database has every field in the same large table.

Debs created a form based on this table. A very simple wizard created plain form.
The form has a subform for the history.

I will leave it to DCrake to answer the question.
Here is a screen print of the table setup for DCrake.

Attachments

• Database9 table.png
    Database9 table.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 207

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
As 2007 does not support calculated fields that is why I cannot open it.

Debs if you remove the field as it is not relevant to your issue and try and reduce it down to either 2007 or 2003 format I will endevour to retry.

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Try this link for any pointers. Did notice you used >> which was wrong should be =

debslucy

Registered User.
Local time
Try this link for any pointers. Did notice you used >> which was wrong should be =

I know this might sound silly - but when you say remove calculated fields, does that just mean remove/delete the columns that have formulas in?
Then upload again?

Thanks
Debs

debslucy

Registered User.
Local time
Yes exactly that

I looked at that link you sent - even downloaded the pipeline database to replicate it but copying the link just does not work.

What does the

Then go to your table and click on the memo field - then change the "append to" property to "Yes" (default is no)
Should work.

mean? do you know how i find this fields?

Thanks
Debs

Attachments

• Database9.accdb
    612 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom