DateDiff function (1 Viewer)

radek225

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:40
I try to use datediff function with format() to count difference between now() and starting time my activity -tblProcesyZleceniaSzczegoly.datarozpoczecia

I want to use format 00h and 00min

e.g.
now - 19:06
starting activity time 20:00
result shoudl be 00h and 54min
but when I try to use datediif ms access shows me 1 hour as a results:/

e.g.
now - Thursday 11:10
starting activity - Monday 11:00

results shoudl be 72h and 10min
How should I create my sql code?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:40
How should I create my sql code?
How have you created it at the moment? No point in suggesting what you have already tried

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Hey radek,
DateDiff() allows you to specify different intervals of time on which to calculate a difference. I would expect that if you used "hours" as the interval . . .
Code:
? datediff("h", #19:06#, #20:00#)
. . . then the result would be 1. But try using minutes, which is represented by an "n" so as not to confuse it with months . . .
Code:
? datediff("n", #19:06#, #20:00#)
. . . and see if you get different results.

radek225

Registered User.
Local time
Hey radek,
DateDiff() allows you to specify different intervals of time on which to calculate a difference. I would expect that if you used "hours" as the interval . . .
Code:
? datediff("h", #19:06#, #20:00#)
. . . then the result would be 1. But try using minutes, which is represented by an "n" so as not to confuse it with months . . .
Code:
? datediff("n", #19:06#, #20:00#)
. . . and see if you get different results.
Thanks Markk for your insight. The problem is, that I should get from my query 'n' but limit should be 60. Yes I tried to combinated h and n. if you have less than 60minutes difference, then it's ok, but when we have e.g. 70min? then results should be 1h and 10min not 0:70min

radek225

Registered User.
Local time
How have you created it at the moment? No point in suggesting what you have already tried

Format what I need is

e.g.
Code:
SELECT Format(Now(),"h") & "h and " & Format(Now(),"n") & "min" AS Wyr1;
it's just example

Part of my code
Code:
SELECT datediff('h', tblProcesyZleceniaSzczegoly.datarozpoczecia, now()) as czas from tblProcesyZleceniaSzczegoly where identyfikator =1;

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Does this help?
Code:
Function GetElapsedTime(t1 As Date, t2 As Date) As Date
    Dim minutes As Long

minutes = Abs(DateDiff("n", t1, t2))       [COLOR="Green"]'calculate minutes difference[/COLOR]
    GetElapsedTime = TimeSerial(0, minutes, 0) [COLOR="Green"]'convert minutes back to valid date/time[/COLOR]
End Function
Here we calculate the minutes using DateDiff(), but we convert that result back to a valid Date/Time variable in VBA.

radek225

Registered User.
Local time
Does this help?
Code:
Function GetElapsedTime(t1 As Date, t2 As Date) As Date
    Dim minutes As Long

minutes = Abs(DateDiff("n", t1, t2))       [COLOR="Green"]'calculate minutes difference[/COLOR]
    GetElapsedTime = TimeSerial(0, minutes, 0) [COLOR="Green"]'convert minutes back to valid date/time[/COLOR]
End Function
Here we calculate the minutes using DateDiff(), but we convert that result back to a valid Date/Time variable in VBA.

Almost:)!

Result is exactly what I expect BUT I need to use it in sql query:/

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Code:
TimeDiffField: TimeSerial(0, Abs(DateDiff("n", field1, field2)), 0)
or can't you just do a subtraction on the date values to get the difference, like . . .
Code:
TimeDiffField: cdate(abs(field1 - field2))

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 22:40
you can also use:

SELECT (((DateDiff("n", tblProcesyZleceniaSzczegoly.datarozpoczecia, Now()) \ 60)) & Format((DateDiff("n", tblProcesyZleceniaSzczegoly.datarozpoczecia, Now()) Mod 60), "\:00")) as czas from tblProcesyZleceniaSzczegoly where identyfikator =1;

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom