DB and .mdw file (1 Viewer)

AccessKurzo

Dazed and Confused
Local time
Yesterday, 23:55
A client of mine has an Access 97 db and an .mdw file for security.

I am trying to open it in Access 2000 on my own office computer using a shortcut specifying the db location and the the workgroup file on my local desktop. When I click the shortcut, I get this error:

"Cannot open the Microsoft Jet engine workgroup information file."

When I try to open the db directly, I get this error:

"You do not have the necessary perrmissions to use the 'databasename' object........"

I would prefer to work on this on my own computer instead of going to their office to do the work. What can I check or try or is it hopeless :)

Thanks

Last edited:

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:55
Does the Target: field of the shortcut look something like this?

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\msaccess.exe" /wrkgrp "X:\YourWorkgroupFile.mdw" "X:\YourDatabaseFile.mdb" /user YourUserName

Are you trying to open the db with the same version of Access it was designed in?

Kodo

"The Shoe"
Local time
;) .

A client of mine has an Access 97 db and an .mdw file for security.

I am trying to open it in Access 2000 on my own office computer.....

AccessKurzo

Dazed and Confused
Local time
I see you are Dazed and Confused also ;)

my target looks like this:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\MyDatabase.mdb" /wrkgrp "C:\MYDATABASE.MDW"

it was created in 97 and I am trying to open it in 2000. Is this the reason? Will it work if I install Office 97 and open it with that?

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
AccessKurzo said:
it was created in 97 and I am trying to open it in 2000. Is this the reason? Will it work if I install Office 97 and open it with that?
Installing Access 97 would definitely work. I have never had to do it, yet, but you should be able to convert the Access 97 db and mdw file to Access 2000. There must be documentation within the help files on converting the mdb and mdw files to 2000.

AccessKurzo

Dazed and Confused
Local time
I thought of converting them, but I cant open them to actually have the option to convert. I will try a 97 install and see if that works.

Thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom