Deactivate the DB after certain days (1 Viewer)

Pop_Access

Local time
Today, 05:45
I intend to create a trial version of DB, and I want to deactivate the DB automatically after certain days.

Is there an idea.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 12:45
Someone was wanting to do the same thing recently, using the registry.
Search for Registry and RanMan256. I think he made a reply.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:45
One idea is to simply limit the number of records allowed in a trial version rather than limit the time, to give the potential customers enough experience to try out your product.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Whilst various methods can be used to limit the usage of evaluation versions, do bear in mind that none of them are foolproof
For that reason, I include more than one method in several of my evaluation versions. For example:

1650893075717.png

Good luck

Cotswold

Local time
One problem with time limited is that the user can adjust the PC clock. So you need other checks in your software to get around them doing that.
It will be much easier to use the suggestion by theDBguy, but put in a check to make sure they aren't deleting any using Access itself or by a little utility they've written. Often restricting the number of records in at least three tables is sufficient. Just weigh up how you could get around your own security and you're pretty well there. But if you come up against some propeller-head you are possibly wasting your time trying to do it with Access anyway.

It's all a bit of a game really, you just need to make sure you're on the winning side.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@Cotswold is making a similar point as me.
You can detect whether the system date has been changed to prevent users bypassing a time limit
Limiting the number of records is indeed simpler but it can also be circumvented.
That's what I use several approaches in combination.

But you can never make such measures absolutely foolproof as already stated

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom