Delete records 6 months old (1 Viewer)

kbrooks

Still learning
Local time
Today, 12:56
I have a database I set up for a department to keep track of charts they send out, where they go, and when they're returned. There is getting to be a LOT of records in the database, so I'm wanting to set up some kind of purge function for them.

I know I can set up a delete query but I have a couple questions. The date we'll go from is called returned_date, and they want to delete records that were returned 6 months ago or longer, and keep all records returned within the last 6 months. I'm not sure how to do this, other than having them manually calculating the date 6 months ago, and prompting them to enter it when running the query. Is there an easier way?

Also they want to view the reports before deleting. I was thinking of setting up 2 separate queries that are exactly the same.....only one will be a delete query and the other one won't. Then I can just make a report based on that query. Is that the best way?

Thanks in advance!

Jon K

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:56
Create two queries (type each in a new query's SQL View):-

qryViewOldRecords:-
SELECT *
FROM yourTable
WHERE Returned_date < DateAdd('m',-6,Date());

qryDeleteOldRecords:-
DELETE *
FROM yourTable
WHERE Returned_date < DateAdd('m',-6,Date());

Run the first query to view the old records. Produce your report based on this query.

Run the second query to delete the old records.

kbrooks

Still learning
Local time
Thanks for your reply.

I did what you suggested, but when running the query, I am prompted for a return date. I'm assuming that's not what you intended...?

kbrooks

Still learning
Local time
Never mind, it worked. I forgot to change my field name from what you had to what it was actually called (ReturnDate)

Thank you!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom