"Detail" section of continuous form too big (1 Viewer)

TUSSFC

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:14
I have a continuous form based on a query. The recordset returned will always be 3 records - but as far as I can see this shouldn't be relevant.

Therefore, I'd expect the form (in form view) to display the form header, the 3 records and the form footer. I've disabled the ability to add new records from the form view - so it's view/edit only.

However ... the detail section showing is quite big. There's a horrible blank bit below the 3rd record and before the form footer and I can't work out what's causing it!

Any ideas?

- see attached screenshot. thanks.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 858

Soulium

Registered User.
Local time
There is VB code you can use to get rid of the lines but i have forgotten it/them, Sorry. You could try googling some VB access tutorials it should be in some of them.

TUSSFC

Registered User.
Local time
Ha, there is hope then! I've tried googling and googling but with no luck. Guess I'm not getting the terminology right :-/

Soulium

Registered User.
Local time
Ahar! Found it! err i may have lied.

Open your form in design view. Go View- Properties- click format- "dividing lines"(10th down) change it to No.

TUSSFC

Registered User.
Local time
Tried that ... no change (except no dividing lines - still big gap) :-(

Soulium

Registered User.
Local time
Oh then you need the min and max size forced and that is VBA =S

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Try putting some more records in the db, there isn't a can/shrink grow function on forms

TUSSFC

Registered User.
Local time
The form is based on a query ... and the results will always be 3 records. I don't want any more to show. There is a property on the detail part of the form for Can Shrink but I have tried that on/off with no change.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
The form is based on a query ... and the results will always be 3 records. I don't want any more to show. There is a property on the detail part of the form for Can Shrink but I have tried that on/off with no change.

CanShrink on forms only works when printing the form, if there's only ever going to be three records drag the bottom of the form up to make it smaller

TUSSFC

Registered User.
Local time
Ah ... got it!! I was trying to do it in Design view. Simply dragged the form frame in form view and saved and got it.

Christ ... I feel like a fool *blushes*

Thanks.

bassman197

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:14
TUSSFC:
Drag in FORM VIEW - Thank you! I have been trying to figure this out for years!

ma t

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:14
Can someone explain what "drag in form view" means? I have a form with a subform. The "main" form is set to single form. The subform is in the footer, and is set to continuous. there is a HUGE gap between the record in the main form and the subform. Try as I might I cannot get the subform to "hug" the top of the footer section. I have tried the suggestion of making the footer deeper, but the folks who have laptops or small monitors then get the top of the main form cut off- WHYYYYYYYYY does Access do this? :banghead:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Open the form in design view and identify what is the actual form area rather than the window that holds the form.

Attachments

• FormVsWindow.jpg
    FormVsWindow.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 5,217

ma t

Registered User.
Local time
i have my form "control" snugged up as far as it can go. my form "expands" as tall as my monitor, making the detail section huge, and the footer, with the subform, all the way at the bottom.... any suggestions ?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Only if your database properties are set to display Overlapping Windows can you control this. With the Tabbed Documents setting, the forms expand to fill the Access Window.

Attachments

• DisplaySetting.jpg
    DisplaySetting.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 4,793

ma t

Registered User.
Local time
huh... Access has "all the tricks" i guess... i will try this out. been a mystery for years...

ma t

Registered User.
Local time
btw- your nice illos with the arrows are a very nice touch!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A picture is worth a thousand words:) I just spent a week cooresponding with a member who was trying to tell me in words how to get the picture embedded in the post so you don't have to click on link to view it and it was quite a chore.

ma t

Registered User.
Local time
so i just changed my preferences, and now the forms seem as "pop up". And, i still have the same issue, one record in the main form, with a huge detail section, with a tiny subform in the footer at the bottom of my monitor...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom