Diagnostic help (1 Viewer)

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Yesterday, 22:34
Hello,
I have a 32bit access application that ties to an external db on our server. Been using this for years on several computers. We just got a new computer, and it has 64bit office. I run it as a .accde, with access 2013 runtime. I'm still getting an ODBC call fail error. Which direction should I be looking?

Is this an issue with 32/64-bit incompatibility? Permissions issue? I've tried all I can think of and I'm getting nowhere. Any help is appreciated.

The real twist here is I got one new computer (should be Identical setups) to work, but this one isn't.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:34
We just got a new computer, and it has 64bit office. I run it as a .accde, with access 2013 runtime. I'm still getting an ODBC call fail error. Which direction should I be looking?

Some things to consider and check:
  • You cannot open a 32bit .accde file with 64bit Office.
  • As far as I'm aware, you also cannot install the 32bit runtime on a computer with 64bit Office.
  • The bitness of the ODBC driver must match the bitness of the MsAccess.exe (runtime or full edition) that is running the Access application.

PS:
I'm still getting an ODBC call fail error.
Can you state the exact error message?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:34
Four solutions.
1. Uninstall the 64 bit version of Office and install the 32 bit. Unless the users need humongous Excel and Word docs, there is no benefit to installing 64 bit.
2. You distribute .accdb files instead of .accde. You might also need conditional compilation code if you have code that uses API's
3. Uninstall 32 bit from everyone else, reinstall Office as 64 bit. Recreate the .accde and distribute.
4. Use the new user's computer to create a 64 bit .accde OR YOU have to maintain two separate computers, one with 64 bit Office and the other with 32 bit Office or use virtual partitions.

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 06:34
@sonic8
For info, you can install older 32-bit runtime versions such as 2013 with a different 64-bit version of Access such as 365 & 2010. See

@Pat Hartman
There is at least one very important reason why 64-bit Access is advantageous. It handles large memory addresses which means fewer / no out of memory errors and certain demanding processes also run faster
It is possible to set Large Address Awareness capability for 32-bit Access using code such as that provided by Philipp, but it has to be reapplied on each version update which is a pain if you use 365. That code is available from

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Do you have an Access application that can benefit from 64-bit? I guess I don't have any that do intensive memory grabbing so I've never run into this issue. I would be interested in understanding just what type of VBA or SQL processing would be aided by the 64 bit version. Do you have any specific information regarding what causes out of memory errors?

If you can install the 32 bit runtime alongside the 64 bit full office, that would work as long as the app doesn't do any automation of Word or Excel.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:34
Do you have any specific information regarding what causes out of memory errors?
A reproducible scenario is opening several forms with multiple sub forms in a tab controls at the same time.
There are many factors involved, so it is hard to give concrete number for the above. In my experience the problem may start with 5 main forms with 10 sub forms each.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 06:34
Do you have an Access application that can benefit from 64-bit?
Yes. For example, my JSON app which reads external JSON files into memory so these can be analysed & then saved as Access tables.
For standard JSON files, either bitness works fine. However, 64-bit Access performs far better with very large JSON files of 75 MB or more.
In such cases, 32-bit Access can run out of memory and freeze or crash. Using LAA helps extend the capability of 32-bit Access in this respect.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I guess I've never run into the out of memory issue because I'm pretty conscious of how "heavy" my forms are. Plus I avoid allowing the user to have multiple forms open at any one time whenever possible since they just get confused.

I'm glad that Access is able to make use of the large address space. I'm not sure it was in the beginning. So, we have the same issue as with Word and Excel. If you have huge amounts of data that must be in memory, then it makes sense to use 64 bit Office. Alsom we're enough years into this that any add-in that is going to be converted to 64 bit has been so add-ins are no longer a reason to avoid the switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom