Dick Cheney shoots hunting companion (1 Viewer)

R

Rich

Guest
Kraj said:
No offense intended here, but that sounds like lunacy. A mob throwing rocks? OK, shields and defensive equipment only sounds appropriate. A mob throwing grenades? I'd say blowing 'em to kingdom come is probably justified at that point.

Therein lies the problem, violence begets violence.
 

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:56
Joined
Aug 20, 2001
Messages
1,470
Fair enough, but then why put troops there in the first place? What sense does it make to put troops in serious danger without adequate means to protect themselves? Either equip them to get the job done or let them stay home.
 

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Today, 17:56
Joined
Mar 23, 2000
Messages
1,930
Rich said:
For a balanced and unbiased animation

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20...xIF;_ylu=X3oDMTBjMHVqMTQ4BHNlYwN5bnN1YmNhdA--



Now hang on there just a darn minute or so.

Since this is cartoon of a semi leader is there not grounds for somebody to object and start a riot.

L
 
R

Rich

Guest
Len Boorman said:
Now hang on there just a darn minute or so.

Since this is cartoon of a semi leader is there not grounds for somebody to object and start a riot.

L

ah give it time, first it has to be circulated long after it was first published and then during a lull :rolleyes:
 

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:56
Joined
Aug 20, 2001
Messages
1,470
It's actually kind of sad, isn't it, that a hunting accident makes a huge uproar in the news yet barely a whisper was spoken about Cheney and Scalia's little trip?
 
R

Rich

Guest
Kraj said:
It's actually kind of sad, isn't it, that a hunting accident makes a huge uproar in the news yet barely a whisper was spoken about Cheney and Scalia's little trip?
I guess it pretty much sums up life under Bush :rolleyes:
 

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
Today, 17:56
Joined
Oct 15, 2002
Messages
1,352
Originally Posted by BarryMK
What other nation in the world would expect its troops to face down an overwhelmingly larger mob, armed with rocks and grenades, with nothing more than plastic shields and wooden batons?

Kraj said:
No offense intended here, but that sounds like lunacy.
None taken.
Kraj said:
A mob throwing rocks? OK, shields and defensive equipment only sounds appropriate. A mob throwing grenades? I'd say blowing 'em to kingdom come is probably justified at that point.

Maybe it's an old fashioned concept but we try to lead by example.;) Hopefully restraint begets respect and restraint.

Sadly I don't think such an approach works on the dusty streets of the Middle East, folk there seem to have a different view of the value of human life than we do and I do have some sympathy with the young troops involved in this incident, it's hardly more than what they'd dish out in a Saturday night brawl in Tidworth (British Army garrison town).
 

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:56
Joined
Aug 20, 2001
Messages
1,470
BarryMK said:
Life under a bush? Pretty shady!:D
That's quite possibly the most clever quip I've seen in these forums! :D

BarryMK said:
Maybe it's an old fashioned concept but we try to lead by example.;) Hopefully restraint begets respect and restraint.

Sadly I don't think such an approach works on the dusty streets of the Middle East, ...
I agree. The Middle East region does not need the British or U.S. troops there to instigate violence; they're quite adept at doing it themselves. But I'm still a little unclear as to the philosophy behind sending troops into a danger zone armed only with plastic sticks and shields. Are we talking restraint as a nation or restraint as an individual? On the individual level, restraint is having a big-ass gun and choosing not to use it. If a soldier doesn't have a gun at all then not shooting someone isn't restraint because he couldn't if he wanted to.

If you're talking about restraint as a nation - that you do not send troops in gung ho with guns blazing - I can see that. It would still make more sense to me not to have a presence at all, then, instead of sending troops with their hands tied behind their backs. Perhaps I'm underestimating the protective capabilities of their armor, though, and the soldiers aren't in as much danger as I think.
 
R

Rich

Guest
There were armed troops within the group, but the whole object of this type of exercise, is for those who are armed to keep a low profile thus not inflaming the situation.
 

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:56
Joined
Aug 20, 2001
Messages
1,470
Ah, I see. That makes quite a bit of sense, actually. Thanks for the info!
 

statsman

Active member
Local time
Today, 12:56
Joined
Aug 22, 2004
Messages
2,088
Kraj said:
Fair enough, but then why put troops there in the first place? What sense does it make to put troops in serious danger without adequate means to protect themselves? Either equip them to get the job done or let them stay home.


Like Hum Vees without armour, insufficient ammunition, Cheney getting rich supplying fuel.

In a war you go for your enemy's throat you don't go at it half-assed and thats why the US body count is so high in Iraa
 

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
Today, 17:56
Joined
Oct 15, 2002
Messages
1,352
Kraj said:
That's quite possibly the most clever quip I've seen in these forums! :D .


One does one's best dontcher know :)

Kraj said:
f you're talking about restraint as a nation - that you do not send troops in gung ho with guns blazing - I can see that. It would still make more sense to me not to have a presence at all, then, instead of sending troops with their hands tied behind their backs.

Personally I agree that if you're going into a war situation you should go in to win and that's what we (the US and the coalition forces) did. What we're trying to do now and what was never taken into account by GWB et al and planned for is winning the peace.

Frankly I think the prospect of peace in the Middle East is non-existent. They don't want it and we can't impose it.

Why don't we just tell GWB to get off his ass on the oil front and start investing America's billions in alternative fuel systems, wean the States off petrol, stop buying from the Arabs, screw their economies and seal off their borders? Then they can go back to the stone age societies they never stopped being. If you're an arab or muslim reading this, tough - I don't hear your voices raised in protest at the wrongs perpetrated by your own kind.
 
R

Rich

Guest
BarryMK said:
If you're an arab or muslim reading this, tough - I don't hear your voices raised in protest at the wrongs perpetrated by your own kind.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Now look what you've started


 

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:56
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
1,224
BarryMK said:
Don't send this to the Danish press Rich:D

Ok, Rich, I guess I'll admit how bad a guy I am. I was sitting at my desk, when I saw this and busted out laughing. The lady that was in my office looked at me like I was crazy and asked what in the world I was laughing at.

Shane
 

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:56
Joined
Aug 20, 2001
Messages
1,470
BarryMK said:
Personally I agree that if you're going into a war situation you should go in to win and that's what we (the US and the coalition forces) did. What we're trying to do now and what was never taken into account by GWB et al and planned for is winning the peace.

Frankly I think the prospect of peace in the Middle East is non-existent. They don't want it and we can't impose it.

Why don't we just tell GWB to get off his ass on the oil front and start investing America's billions in alternative fuel systems, wean the States off petrol, stop buying from the Arabs, screw their economies and seal off their borders? Then they can go back to the stone age societies they never stopped being. If you're an arab or muslim reading this, tough - I don't hear your voices raised in protest at the wrongs perpetrated by your own kind.
Amen to that, brutha!

ShaneMan said:
Ok, Rich, I guess I'll admit how bad a guy I am. I was sitting at my desk, when I saw this and busted out laughing. The lady that was in my office looked at me like I was crazy and asked what in the world I was laughing at.
I didn't bust, but it's pretty damn funny. :D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom