differences between young and old (1 Viewer)

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 07:47
can anyone comment on this? not to mention anything biblical, but there is a great concern to me that is coming to pass that is completely related to Matthew 10:21. I am seeing so much friction between young people and old people with regard to their ability to communicate and cooperate with one another. Is anyone else seeing this too? I know many others here are, considering what I've read in the past. Any comments on this and why this has come about, with regard to economics or humanity or anything else that comes to mind? thanks.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I see an erosion of the concept of responsibility. I blame the Liberal mind-set for this. The concept of being "owed" something just because you exist? If the something is respectful treatment, yes. If the something is perpetual welfare checks? No. Kids grow up hearing (and seeing) all kinds of entitlements but then they don't get what they see others are getting. So they confront the parents, who happen to have been from a more responsible generation. So the parents say "No" to whatever the spoiled brats want. And the conflict starts in earnest.

I'm sure there is more to it than that. But that is a starting point.

Part of the problem is that "sharing the wealth" makes sense to kids - until they learn that if there is too much demand for sharing of finite and inadequate resources then there isn't enough to go around and they will have to <<<horrors!>>> work for a living. There should be some type of balance, but there is not.

conception_native_0123

Local time
I blame the Liberal mind-set for this.

why exactly do you think liberalism is growing in popularity? what's the primary driver? I think it has a lot to do with the *system* that was set up by the right wing white man before the year 1900 rolled around. Now, it is harder than ever to get rich quick because the system has morphed into "something else" a million different times. At this point, a man can't take resources out of the ground and build a million somethings to get rich. Now he has to use a tremendous amount of brainpower and do it with computer knowledge. And since man is generally lazy, no one wants to, or can, do that. NO?

ids grow up hearing (and seeing) all kinds of entitlements but then they don't get what they see others are getting. So they confront the parents, who happen to have been from a more responsible generation. So the parents say "No" to whatever the spoiled brats want. And the conflict starts in earnest.

that's really not what I was talking about. what i was talking about was a lot more philosophical than that. I guess what I was talking about was:
=> the differences in
- energy level.
- respect of others.
- knowledge of tech.
- obsession with tech.
- political mindsets.
- economic opportunity.
- knowledge of how to make money.
- traditional job opportunities being offered.

conception_native_0123

Local time
by the way doc man, I see conversation between me and you as stand-alone projects now since most others like Isaac won't want to talk to me. you think? :cry::cry::cry:

conception_native_0123

Local time
and speaking of corporations doc man, I know exactly how they help society. they "guide it". did we talk about this before? the reason why .NET was created by microsoft CEO a long time ago was because he knew that he controlled everything. that is why it is being used everywhere now. so, new opportunities with a new platform. It just took 18 years for it to take hold! ha ha ha

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Since nobody else will talk to you, I'll close that circle. You are on a rant about the evils of various aspects of the USA. I have no use for that discussion and have no philosophical interest in trying to debate with a closed-minded individual such as yourself.

I have given you various reasons why your position is wrong. You have ignored my reasoning. If you want to ask tech questions or pick a topic that will get people involved, fine. Don't actually perform ad-hominem attacks and I won't do anything about your account.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Since nobody else will talk to you, I'll close that circle. You are on a rant about the evils of various aspects of the USA. I have no use for that discussion and have no philosophical interest in trying to debate with a closed-minded individual such as yourself.

i said something that was closed-minded? I can't see it. it would be appreciated if you could point me to it. thanks. I don't think I did. and I said nothing bad about the USA. I said something about a "system". that is not bound to the USA is it doc man? if anything, I said something GOOD about microsoft!

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:47
These who try to characterise people by age are simply expressing their prejudices.

The notion that annoys me the most is the idea that the young are "entitled". I see the greatest sense of self entitlement around me among some people from the Baby Boomer generation who think that everything should be about their "needs". Having had everything come to them so easily during the economic boom of their early adulthood when there was plenty of work and houses were affordable, they continue to want everything arranged to fit their desires.

There are people where I live who are demanding trains be returned to an old branch railway that has been closed for seventeen years. Oh no buses that can serve the whole region aren't good enough. They want hundreds of millions of dollars of public money spent on providing them with a train to satisfy their desire to ride down to the beach on a train like they did in their youth. The old wooden trestle bridges are collapsing. The wooden sleepers are rotten and the tracks have been buried in thick vegetation for more than a decade. The line doesn't even go near where most people in the region live nor where they work and was built for steam trains in the 1890s with dozens of tight curves that limit speeds to 60 kph making it useless for moving commuters. The nearby modern motorwayis what commuters use.

Yet they get 240 people turn up to a public meeting. They don't care about the financial burden placed on the young. They don't care that government economic policies that made it attractive for them to own and make easy money from multiple rental properties drove the property market out of the reach of the young. They don't care that the young pay a fortune for their tertiary education while many of them studied in an era where it was heavily subsidised or even free to attend university.

But they will harp on about how the young are so "entitled". These people give the rest of us Boomers a bad reputation among the young.

I know a lot of young people who struggle hard to meet their real needs.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:47
I have noticed over the years there seems to be a general lack of respect to other people and their property. It goes from being rude drivers to dropping trash anywhere. I was curious why someone at a store could not put their shopping cart in the designated area one parking spot over instead of leaving it in the parking spot (which I had to move to be able to park my vehicle in that spot. We have neighbors that play loud music from their houses and cars at any time day or night. People dump the trash out of their vehicles into parking lots and streets, expecting someone else to pick it up. And it goes on and on.

conception_native_0123

Local time
I have noticed over the years there seems to be a general lack of respect to other people and their property.

do you think this has to do with globalization, brought on by america a long time ago?

People dump the trash out of their vehicles into parking lots and streets, expecting someone else to pick it up. And it goes on and on.

from "All in" in 2006 by Dennis Miller:
ya know, when i was 12 years old we used to go to dairy queen. and when we were done, we'd back out onto the highway...and we would just dump every piece of shit we had right out the window. we were litterin' fools.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 08:47
do you think this has to do with globalization, brought on by america a long time ago?
Doc mentioned this very issue with you: your overall dislike for, and ENORMOUS lack of information regarding, the US. BTW, America is a continent (two actually) and not a country.

Debate and opinions are welcome here but if you want to be taken seriously, you need to stop showing your ignorance.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:47
I am not sure what the reasons are. I was taught at a young age not to litter (ever). I once got scolded by my dad for dropping a small piece of trash out the car window.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Debate and opinions are welcome here but if you want to be taken seriously, you need to stop showing your ignorance.

agreed, but i don't think i'm ignorant about very much. globalization was brought on by everyone, but everyone AGREED to it. I was talking more or less about the USA's *desire* to lead everyone into it. does that sound better? I don't I'll take you on with regard to the "continent" issue. why do you say that? because alaska and PC are not part of the main land? i don't get it.

conception_native_0123

Local time
I once got scolded by my dad for dropping a small piece of trash out the car window.

I once got my shirt torn off my back by my father for slapping my mother's knees when her health was greatly declining and we didn't want her around anymore. Furthermore, my mom, before she got sick, greatly scolded me for stealing a candy-cane shaped container of M&M's from a local shop in Washington where we lived. she made me walk back and return it. i was 8.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Most ignorant people claim that very thing...its part of makes them ignorant in the first place. Viscous cycle...

well thanks for confirming that. care to clarify *everything* that you think I'm ignorant about? laundry list not needed, but you have said nothing yet other than the USA thing.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 08:47
One of my few talents is knowing a waste of time when I see it. You remind me of someone else that I have placed on my ignore list...as a matter of fact, I suspect you may even BE that person.

I will not add you to that list (I am bored with working from home and need some entertainment) but I will do what most have already done and simply not respond to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom