Disable Auto-prompt to create backup for ACCDE (1 Viewer)

Mohsin Malik

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:48
Hello everyone,

I have a question about the accde version of the database that I distribute to the users, sometimes the application crashes unexpectedly and prompts the user to create a backup of the accde file. This is very annoying and confusing for the users, and I want to fix this behavior so that it does not prompt to create a backup.

Is there a setting or an option that I can change in the accdb version before creating the accde file? Or is there a way to disable the backup prompt in the accde file itself? I appreciate any help or suggestions. Thank you for your time and attention.

ebs17

Local time
Today, 10:48
sometimes the application crashes unexpectedly
I wouldn't consider something like this normal. With proper error handling that goes well beyond "On Error Resume Next", you will usually end up with a controlled termination instead of a crash.
Carrying out the programming cleanly, correctly and in a way that conserves resources would be another tip.

Mohsin Malik

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:48
Thank you for the suggestions. The application already uses VBWatchDog as well as local error handling to prevent unexpected crashes. However, the crashes that occur sometimes are not happening to all users, and they are not always reproducible.

I only want to disable the backup prompt for ACCDE version to the users because they have a batch file that always lets them get the latest version of the ACCDE file. I appreciate the help and suggestions. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:48
The problem is that when Access sees fit to make that backup copy, it thinks something is SO seriously wrong that would end up losing data if it exited without that special backup. For you to be able to stop it, you would have to intercept the error that causes it. Never mind what the users see. YOU need to see what is causing this fatal condition and head it off. To prevent the users from seeing this, find it and fix it.

While I would not say my opinion is definitive, I don't know of a setting that would prevent that auto-backup behavior because it is being handled by Access itself, not anything in your code.

By any chance is this an O365 64-bit situation?

This next link is a commercial site with a product to sell and I DO NOT PERSONALLY RECOMMEND their product - because I have no experience with it - but the first six items in their list relate to the problem of that auto-backup.

One of our members, Missinglinq, responded to a similar problem on another forum and suggested that if you have "Compact On Close" option selected, deselect it immediately.

So far, NO articles I have found suggest a way to intercept the backup action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom