DISABLE FORMS DROPDOWN LIST FROM ACCEPTING PAST (1 Viewer)

adewale4favour

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:44
Hi guys,
Please I am faced with a little challenge in my Database especially from the Users Interface.

I have a form with few fields. One of those fields is a drop-down. The drop down does not allow users to type anything. You can only select from the drop down list from the combo box. But I noticed something, some users tried to beat-this-system of data-entry restrictions. What they simply do is (to avoid the drop-down selection, the copy what they want, which is an item not in the list. They copy what and use Ctrl+v to past this into the form). With this, they bypass the list item in the dropdown and paste their own choices.

What I have tried to do is
1. I tried to use the control of that form, from property sheet, the Data Tab (Allow Value list edit: NO, Limit to list: YES, Enabled: Yes, Locked: NO,) When i tried to put the Locked to YES, - it did not work, rather they wouldn't be able to select any thing from the drop-down.

I know there should be a way around this, but I can't figure it out yet. The data is completely messed up with this. I will appreciate contributions to kick out Paste Command from running on the form.

Many thanks
Michael

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi Michael. If Limit To List is set to Yes, then they shouldn't be able to use the Paste command, unless what they are pasting is also in the list.

If you simply just want to avoid using the Paste command, then maybe you could try using one of the Key events. For example, you could try the KeyUp event and trap Ctrl + V key combination.

adewale4favour

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Michael. If Limit To List is set to Yes, then they shouldn't be able to use the Paste command, unless what they are pasting is also in the list.

If you simply just want to avoid using the Paste command, then maybe you could try using one of the Key events. For example, you could try the KeyUp event and trap Ctrl + V key combination.

Many thanks dbGuy,

trust me, the limit to list is actually set to YES. It was difficult for me to detect this earlier, but I tried it myself. I tried pasting into same form, considering all these checks. The pasting went through.

they may be a control I don't know of yet or through the events.

Regards
Michael

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:44
what is the rowsource to your combo?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:44
I am unable to replicate the issue, so some more background required as I suspect your form may be corrupted

Which is the bound column? and which column is the user selecting on? And what are the datatype for both? text? number? (I would expect category to be numeric, bound and hidden and status to be text and the field users are pasting into).

Also another question - what is the controlsource to the combo? and what is its datatype?

Otherwise suggest upload a copy of your db with enough to replicate the issue

adewale4favour

Registered User.
Local time
I am unable to replicate the issue, so some more background required as I suspect your form may be corrupted

Which is the bound column? and which column is the user selecting on? And what are the datatype for both? text? number? (I would expect category to be numeric, bound and hidden and status to be text and the field users are pasting into).

Also another question - what is the controlsource to the combo? and what is its datatype?

Otherwise suggest upload a copy of your db with enough to replicate the issue

Thanks CJ,
I have been off line, just got this response. I will upload a copy of the program here, perhaps it will help to identify what the issue is.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom