Solved Disable visibility of empty Images (1 Viewer)

dlugirapfr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:02
Hi All,

at the begging thank you for any replay.

I have big problem with report. In my database every record has about from 1 to 20 links to picture (every link to picture in different field). I know how to make report with pictures (I know also that there is problem with picture in 32bit and 64 bit Access – some of them doesn’t work – more info https://blog.fmsinc.com/microsoft-access-2016-and-invisible-picture-images/ )

Do you know how to permanently hide picture if doesn’t exist ? Now if my record has only 3 links to picture I print report like it consist 20. All 17 records are white without any data.

Once again thank you for solution.

It doesn’t work :( https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/make-image-field-disappear-if-null-value.247458/

I have Access 365 32 bit and 64 bit :)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:02
It doesn’t work

Well, that's obviously not true, it works for the other poster in that other thread. It's not working for you, that's the problem. Your answer, that it does not work, is not very helpful especially considering it obviously works for someone else. I suggest you post your database so that we can look at it and see if we can sort out the problem, alternatively, you will have to explain what you are doing in detail...

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
sounds like you have a table where one record has many fields containing (or not) a link.

what you should have is a table with multiple records each with one link, then it would not be a problem.

dlugirapfr

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Guys,

thank you for replays.

Unfortunately I cannot share my database because it consists confidential data.

But for example. Every record in table looks like this: data1, data2, data3.... data20, picture1, picture2, picture3,.... picture20.
All data fields are with data in it. Some picture fields has link to picture which is on my hard drive. So data in picture field is like C:\base\picture1.jpg
This pictures are big - it must be two pictures on one A4 page to see anything in printed version.
So created reports with image fields. First report has one page and I put their image object with link to picture1 and picture2. Second report one page with picture3 and picture4. Then I put all 10 sub reports to one main. And if I have data in picture1, picture2, ... picture20 it works perfectly. But If I have data only in picture1 and picture2 report print 10 pages which data is only on first page. I don't want to print blank pages.

Once again thank you for replays.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
So you are using code that does not work for you - and to be clear, that code is for one image per record and you cannot tell us how you are using it for 20 images. You could do what most people do - create a copy of your db and populate it with some example data that relates to your problem.

My only comment would be that since you are looking to 'save paper', hiding a control will not achieve that. You need to adjust the position and perhaps the height plus adjust the height of the section the images appear in.

You are breaking the rules regards table design which makes your requirement difficult to achieve so suggest redesign your database in accordance with normalisation rules (one image per record). Until you have done this, I really cannot help you further.

Good luck with your project

dlugirapfr

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry for my misunderstanding. So I should write in first post that it is not image just link to image in table.

You are breaking the rules regards table design which makes your requirement difficult to achieve so suggest redesign your database in accordance with normalisation rules (one image per record). Until you have done this, I really cannot help you further.

Good luck with your project

Unfortunately that table is automatically downloaded from WebService. But thank you for suggestion I make some operation in queries and transposed this section with picture1, picture2, to horizontal... and it will be source of picture section in report.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Unfortunately that table is automatically downloaded from WebService.
you should still store the data normalised, so makes your download a bit more complicated. A temporary solution would be to use a union query to fetch each column in turn - for 20 fields you would need 19 UNION SELECT after the initial SELECT

dlugirapfr

Registered User.
Local time
Topic can be closed. I transposed my record source of picture from verticaly to horizontal. It works. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom