Display Keeps Resetting ??? (1 Viewer)

Ritch

Local time
Today, 22:52
First of all, Hi :) and secondly im a bit of a newbie with PC's so please bear with me.

Dunno if any of you IT gurus can shed a little light on a issue i have with my home PC.

I currently have a ACER Aspire PC SA80-9B7Z which came with Window XP service pack 2 preinstalled on it. Basically it's intermittently resetting the display settings when i switch the machine on ( the PC is switch off and unplugged when not in use ) I always set my display settings to "classic Windows " as i find the XP display a little hard on the eyes. I am not loosing any files or folders and the time and date remains the same, it's just the display and sound the keeps reverting back.

I contacted ACER who said its a "Software issue" so it's not there problem, so i contacted Microsoft who say because the PC came preinstalled with windows and that ACER modify the version of Windows it's ACER's problem ???

ACER have suggested that i do a system recovery to see if that solves it, which have done three of now and still no joy. What i did do on the third system recovery was not install any of the automatic Windows updates. I have ran the PC for just over 3 weeks now and have slowly one by one installed drivers and anti-virus software back on to it to try and eliminate them from the problem. Everything was going fine until this morning when i decided to let windows run the automatic updates. You guessed it, it's resetting it self again !!!

Im baffled, obviously it seems to me it's a issue with the updates, but how do you eliminate which ones causing it when it finds over 60 updates to install, and more to the point why is it causing it ??? I know this isn't a major problem with the PC but its F&*king annoying when you have to keep changing the settings whenever i use the bloody thing.

Any advice is much appreciated,

Cheers,

Ritch

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:52
Everything was going fine until this morning when i decided to let windows run the automatic updates. You guessed it, it's resetting it self again !!!

Well there you go :p unfortunately these things happen, Windows updates have a habit of doing this. Do you have any display software running ? there could be a conflict with this and an update.

If you don't see anything in the task bar you can also check startup from start run and type msconfig and checking under services.

You can then either uninstall the app or stop it from startup or you could update the software if there is one available.

Ritch

Local time
Thanks for the reply Minkey,

I think the only graphics software i have running is SiS ARP, is it case of visting there site and looking for updates then ???

Sorry for the numpty question !!!

Cheers,

Ritch !!!

Last edited:

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
I think the only graphics software i have running is SiS ARP,

Not sure what this is (is it showing in the task bar or did you find it through msconfig ?) but as long as you have the drivers installed you don't really need any additional graphics/ monitor software.

is it case of visting there site and looking for updates then ???

Yes it always is I've just checked your system spec and does it use the integrated graphics or do you have a separate graphics card ? clicky

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Integrate graphics are a bit of a pain, you'll probably have to update it from SIS website clicky, oh you may want to check for the correct driver clicky.

Ritch

Local time
Integrate graphics are a bit of a pain, you'll probably have to update it from SIS website clicky, oh you may want to check for the correct driver clicky.

Hi Minkey,

Tried both of the links, still no luck dude. Would it be worth while trying a different graphics card ???

Thing that i cant figure out, if it is a graphics issue why does it reset the sound settings too ?

Cheers,

Ritch !!!

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Thing that i cant figure out, if it is a graphics issue why does it reset the sound settings too ?

OK this is clearly pointing to a motherboard/ Microsoft update problem as I assume your sound is also integrated. Though one update could have effected your graphics and one effected your sound :p

You can rollback any update > go to add/remove programs and tick show updates that way you might be able to figure out which update caused the problem.

Or (maybe easier) do an update to your motherboard but you might have to do that from the manufacturer's site if you can't get it from Acer's site - there are loads of updates for your machine might be worth going through them all anyway.

AND :p silly as it sounds you might get an update to an update from M$ that fixes it :D

jaytheguru

Registered User.
Local time
First of all, Hi :) and secondly im a bit of a newbie with PC's so please bear with me.

Dunno if any of you IT gurus can shed a little light on a issue i have with my home PC.

I currently have a ACER Aspire PC SA80-9B7Z which came with Window XP service pack 2 preinstalled on it. Basically it's intermittently resetting the display settings when i switch the machine on ( the PC is switch off and unplugged when not in use ) I always set my display settings to "classic Windows " as i find the XP display a little hard on the eyes. I am not loosing any files or folders and the time and date remains the same, it's just the display and sound the keeps reverting back.

I contacted ACER who said its a "Software issue" so it's not there problem, so i contacted Microsoft who say because the PC came preinstalled with windows and that ACER modify the version of Windows it's ACER's problem ???

ACER have suggested that i do a system recovery to see if that solves it, which have done three of now and still no joy. What i did do on the third system recovery was not install any of the automatic Windows updates. I have ran the PC for just over 3 weeks now and have slowly one by one installed drivers and anti-virus software back on to it to try and eliminate them from the problem. Everything was going fine until this morning when i decided to let windows run the automatic updates. You guessed it, it's resetting it self again !!!

Im baffled, obviously it seems to me it's a issue with the updates, but how do you eliminate which ones causing it when it finds over 60 updates to install, and more to the point why is it causing it ??? I know this isn't a major problem with the PC but its F&*king annoying when you have to keep changing the settings whenever i use the bloody thing.

Cheers,

Ritch

Hello Ritch,

You have a driver conflict here. You need to update your motherboard drivers and with them there are two drivers, one Chipset driver and other is AGP/Display driver. Both of them needs to be updated.

I persume when you have updated the windows using windows update you have updated the suggested drivers update from Microsoft. Please bear in mind those software which Microsoft suggests are general drivers.

Here I would suggest to find out what is your motherboard make, you can easily do that by downloading CPUZ [http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php] and run it. This will tell you the Motherboard make, go to their site and download the updated drivers, alternatively you can also go to Acer Website [http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/desktop/power_s260.html#driver] here is the direct link. Here you can download the AGP Sis drivers and also the chipset driver. Please note: download and update the Direct X as well. This can be downloaded from microsoft website.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if this works.

Many Thanks

jaytheguru

Registered User.
Local time

Cheers,

Ritch

Hello Ritch,

You have a driver conflict here. You need to update your motherboard drivers and with them there are two drivers, one Chipset driver and other is AGP/Display driver. Both of them needs to be updated.

I persume when you have updated the windows using windows update you have updated the suggested drivers update from Microsoft. Please bear in mind those software which Microsoft suggests are general drivers.

Here I would suggest to find out what is your motherboard make, you can easily do that by downloading CPUZ [http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php] and run it. This will tell you the Motherboard make, go to their site and download the updated drivers, alternatively you can also go to Acer Website [http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/desktop/power_s260.html#driver] here is the direct link. Here you can download the AGP Sis drivers and also the chipset driver. Please note: download and update the Direct X as well. This can be downloaded from microsoft website.

Many Thanks

jaytheguru

Registered User.
Local time

Cheers,

Ritch

Hello Ritch,

I persume when you have updated the windows using windows update you have updated the suggested drivers update from Microsoft. Please bear in mind those software which Microsoft suggests are general drivers. Please make sure when you updating your windows, do not update your drivers from microsoft suggestions. The drivers sometimes causes confliction.

Many Thanks

jaytheguru

Registered User.
Local time

Cheers,

Ritch

Hello Ritch,

I persume when you have updated the windows using windows update you have updated the suggested drivers update from Microsoft. Please bear in mind those software which Microsoft suggests are general drivers. Please make sure when you updating your windows, do not update your drivers from microsoft suggestions. The drivers sometimes causes confliction.

Many Thanks

jaytheguru

Registered User.
Local time

Cheers,

Ritch

Hello Ritch,

Many Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom