Disrespect in Politics (1 Viewer)

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 07:38
Anyway, back on topic, disrespect has a long and cherished history in both American and British politics.

Just a few years back, a Republican Congressman interrupted an Obama State of the Union address to call him a liar to his face. Conservative voters carried effigies of Obama and various protest signs around calling for Obama to be lynched. During the 2012 campaign, I saw quite a few 'Don't Re-Nig' Romney/Ryan bumper stickers. Trump, during his campaign, suggested a 'second Amendment solution' if Clinton won. And let's not forget that during Obama's presidency, not a week would go by without that stupid prayer for the death of a leader getting passed around FB and Twitter with a wink and a nudge. I've not seen liberals in general go that far yet the way conservatives did.

Going back in time, there were the McCarthy hearings (culminating in the wonderful 'Have you no shame' dressing-down) and the extremely heated arguments over civil rights and desegregation (which is when the GOP and Democrats flipped ideologies). Hell, back in 1856, Senator Charles Sumner was beaten by Representative Preston Brooks over Sumner's attacks on pro-slavery politicians. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Congress_members_killed_or_wounded_in_office)

If you look at Parliament, it has a LONG history of rudeness and violence. Hell, the two lines on the floor are very specifically two sword-lengths apart, and are there to keep the MP's from literally skewering each other while they debate. Just watch any debate in Parliament and you'll see that they are FAR more blunt, even rude, then you will tend to see in Congress.

So no, respect for your political opponents really has never been part either the American or British political systems. The US was slowly edging toward being more respectful during the Cold War, likely since both sides had a common enemy in the USSR, but the GOP went back to disrespect with a vengeance once Obama was elected, and the Dems are headed almost as far now that Der Orangenführer is in office.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 04:38
@ Frothingslosh,

I will agree that BOTH sides have equally vocal, idiotic, narrow minded bigots that can't stand the other because of the animal they seem to preach to.

As to the "treason" comments, the research I've done hasn't been for what political commentators or those who wish to be involved in pushing a political agenda have to say, I've instead referred to Section 18 USC 2381 and the general case law regarding its enforcement.

As to what DJT is quoted as saying, he's often proven himself to be the equal to Dan Quail for "Eloquence in the white house". Trying to hinge an argument, especially one that is a federal felony that can lead to the death penalty, over an inability to meet primary school grammar is fairly horrid. If the same were applied to any of us on here we'd all be hanged.

I just wish both sides would learn that their grandstanding often turns the majority against BOTH equally, though without a good third alternative we end up with questions such as "Hillary or Donald".

The one thing that has dramatically shifted in American Media is the way that presidents are dealt with. Since Nixon went out of his way to alienate reporters the media has often had a strongly anti-Republican bent, often with reason. Trump's "Fake news" inflames the issue to no end. Horribly though there are some news organizations that think the circulation war is still on and have been caught, much like Pulitzer's reporters, not actually doing their job.

I just wish more people would discuss these items in a civil way. Having an outburst that questions other then makes assumptions about their sources can make one dislike their stance even if objectively it is the proper one to take.

Horsehead

Registered User.
Local time
He actually looks at the business value of something first and considers politics second (or so it seems to me.)
Oh! That would explain his words in Helsinki tho. As a businessman at first he might think that friendship can bring all the russian money to the US :D:D:D russians invest billions in the property in the US, UK, Germany and other Europe.

"Statistically, Russian investment grew by an average of 25% annually between 2009 and 2013. In Q4 2017, the amount spent on international real estate rose 30% compared to the same period in 2016 (from $249 million to $324 million).

The total amount of money sent abroad by Russian nationals in 2017 was $31.3 billion, which exceeds the 2016 figure ($24.8 billion) by 26%. The most popular destinations to send funds were Switzerland, the United Kingdom, Latvia and the United States. "
from here https://tranio.com/articles/russian...first-time-in-4-years-exceeding-usd1-billion/

But should we really trust to somebody who puts dirty money before anything else? One day this "businessman" could sell us all to some terrorists :(

Last edited:

Mark_

Local time
But should we really trust to somebody who puts dirty money before anything else? One day this "businessman" could sell us all to some terrorists :

I doubt they could afford him... :D

For personal greed, I think he's also trying not to piss off leaders with access to nukes. If you can turn his beach front property into glass, he's liable to not want you upset with him...

Horsehead

Registered User.
Local time
I doubt they could afford him... :D

For personal greed, I think he's also trying not to piss off leaders with access to nukes. If you can turn his beach front property into glass, he's liable to not want you upset with him...

That's the thing of a good politician - not to piss off leaders with nukes but also not to piss off your friends in the politics and people of your country. maybe he's a good businessman, but, again, this lack of proper political behaviour could turn all of us into glass one day :(

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
proper political behaviour
I would love to know what proper political behavior means.

Does it mean giving pallets full of money to Iran? Does that make you feel safer?

Does it mean giving the Russians access to US uranium via Canada? Does that make you feel safer?

How about when Obama on a "hot mic" said tell Vladimir I will more flexible in my second term. Maybe that will help you sleep at night.

Mark_

Local time
AB,

Both parties have their fair share of "I'm not bright enough to figure my way out of a paper bag" moment. Both are several AUs away from perfection. No world leader should be given the amount of power they have.

Personally I'm with Douglas Adams on this. We need to find the person who's least interested in being in charge but still capable and thrust the position on them. Both parties are in to too much shady business, but that has been true of politics from long before the first pyramid was raised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom