distaterous strange behaviour (1 Viewer)

dxp

Registered User.
Local time
, 16:24
After working great for 12 months my db has suddenly stopped working tonight! after opening on to the first form and clicking off any field I get "Invalid Data Format" error message pop up and transfered to the code windows. Access then tells me it does not recognise the code and shuts down !!! Has anyone got any ideas PLEASE, this is a disaster

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
, 17:24
First, make a backup! Now create a new, empty mdb and turn off Name AutoCorrect and turn on Compact on Close and close it. Now open the new db again and import everything from the old db and then close the new db again. Now open again and see if things are better. What version of Access are you using. Is the application split to FrontEnd and BackEnd? Do you Compact and Repair on occasion? Have you ever done a /decompile?

dxp

Registered User.
Local time
hi rural, thanks for replying. I did what you suggest but it has not mamde any difference. I am using 2003, i compact and repair on occasion but i have not decompiled, the db is not split. I would be extremeley gratefull for further advice on this. Last night I was trying to do an update query remotley on a table via email, but the problem seems to be with some forms?

RoyVidar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:24
To try the decompile, follow the detailed instructions here http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/decompile.htm. Note - between step 2 and 3 - this compact needs to be performed on a different instance than the instance where you decompiled, else it might not flush out all the rubbish. So, close the db, and open it again - but ensure you're not running any code (hold Shift while opening).

dxp

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Roy, I will try what you suggest and get back, I am beginning to panic!

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
, 17:24
Let us know how things go after the /decompile procedure. It could be that there is only a problem with one form and we still have application.saveastext in the tool bag.

dxp

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks guys, I am in way over my head at your decompile suggestion. i built the db on a wing and a prayer, to be honest I dont know how I got it to this stage not withstanding the fantastic examples and helpm of this forum, but its been doing what I want for 12 months and I have comercial ideas for iyt. WOuld it be possible to send either of you the db for you to look at it and repair/sort it out, I am willing to pay for any assistance you can give me as I dont expect any professional help gratis.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
, 19:24
Thanks guys, I am in way over my head at your decompile suggestion. i built the db on a wing and a prayer, to be honest I dont know how I got it to this stage not withstanding the fantastic examples and helpm of this forum, but its been doing what I want for 12 months and I have comercial ideas for iyt. WOuld it be possible to send either of you the db for you to look at it and repair/sort it out, I am willing to pay for any assistance you can give me as I dont expect any professional help gratis.

Sounds like it's corrupted. Do you know how to import the components into a new database? If not, many people here can direct you...

If you PM me, I can give you my email address and I can give it a shot.

SHADOW

dxp

Registered User.
Local time
thanks Shadow,Ruralguy had a look at it for me but could not get it fixed either( many thanks to him):) so I ended up using a backup and redoing a weeks work (still doing a weeks work) I did try to import into a new db but it still produced the same behaviour..! :confused:

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
thanks Shadow,Ruralguy had a look at it for me but could not get it fixed either( many thanks to him):) so I ended up using a backup and redoing a weeks work (still doing a weeks work) I did try to import into a new db but it still produced the same behaviour..! :confused:

Importing into a new database will only help you if you remove the corrupted data (assuming that it's data that's corrupt). Otherwise, you're just moving your problems from one file to another

SHADOW

RexesOperator

Registered User.
Local time
I came across this link on Google sometime ago. If the guys in this forum can't help, maybe this company can. I do not know anything about them, but thought they might be worth a shot for you.

http://www.accessdatabaserepair.com

Another suggestion as to source of the problem - has anything changed on your computer? My hard drive crashed about a month ago and I had to make some changes to other programs (not Access though).

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 00:24
I came across this link on Google sometime ago. If the guys in this forum can't help, maybe this company can. I do not know anything about them, but thought they might be worth a shot for you.

http://www.accessdatabaserepair.com

Another suggestion as to source of the problem - has anything changed on your computer? My hard drive crashed about a month ago and I had to make some changes to other programs (not Access though).
I think you are overlooking the fact that the good people that host this forum offer a repair service. They might be a bit miffed that you are using their forum to promote a competitor!

RexesOperator

Registered User.
Local time
I think you are overlooking the fact that the good people that host this forum offer a repair service. They might be a bit miffed that you are using their forum to promote a competitor!

Actually I wasn't aware.

But as I said, I know nothing about this company and have not had to use their service (knock on wood).

Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes - I was just trying to help.

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 00:24
I guessed that! Try clicking on the Services tab at the top of the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom