Do I die before I get old? (1 Viewer)

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 08:42
It all comes down to timing: you have to sin before you repent!

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 15:42
God will save everyone if they choose to follow Him and make Him Lord of their lives. Past sins are forgotten.

Do I still get in if I've been good but haven't paid that much attention to the big man?
i.e is the Vladimuir Putin King complex bit the important part?

If not I'm with the naughty girls (could be worse)

Will I still be able to windsurf?

Last edited:

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Do I still get in if I've been good but haven't paid that much attention to the big man?
i.e is the Vladimuir Putin King complex bit the important part?

If not I'm with the naughty girls (could be worse)

Will I still be able to windsurf?
Just being good doesn't cut it. You have to make a decision to make a change. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

I don't see that windsurfing would be against God, as long as you do not put windsurfing before God in your life (i.e, windsurfing before reading the Bible, praying, praising God, etc.).

I hope this helps.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Thanks for humoring me Kev - I'll try and be good and take my chances.

Whatever happens its an adventure.

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
Someone once told me every one over 50 may as well cash in their chips...or at least move out of the work place. If I were infirm and unhappy and of little to no use, I think I would prefer to go gently into the night...using some sort of sleeping pill concoction, perhaps.

If time heals all, age is still cruel.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Someone once told me every one over 50 may as well cash in their chips...or at least move out of the work place. If I were infirm and unhappy and of little to no use, I think I would prefer to go gently into the night...using some sort of sleeping pill concoction, perhaps.

That someone is stupid, I know many people living very useful and fullfilling lives at way past 50. It is not age that is cruel but life, but we do tend to be more resilient in youth and run in to life's cruelties more as we get older, friends and loved ones become ill and/or die. But when I went to tell a neighbour that my wife had died she was writing a tribute to be read in church to a 42 year old woman that had died of cancer leaving a husband and to children under 3. Life can be cruel at any age.

But I agree that it should be possible to go quietly into the night.

Brian

shivani00

Local time
Today, 21:12
no body shoul think like this that "do i die before i get old" its all up to god and the good works done by use. so friends never think like this live ur life the fullest as much as u can.;)........

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time

Some people define themselves by how other people perceive them. I know individuals who are 70+ who work full-time who don't.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I'd also like to add that both Montgomery and Patton were in their fifties during the conclusion of the 2nd World War.

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
So there's hope for the post-50 crowd. Good to know...

I would argue if someone depends on someone else for some source of income or power, etc, that someone else's perception (whether it is impertinent, misinformed, or, as Brian says, stupid) may influence that someone's source of income or power--for better or worse.

Other post-50 overachievers: Socrates (made it to 70), Hermann Hesse, Defoe...see here...

http://www.museumofconceptualart.com/accomplished/

Adam Caramon

Local time
Today, 11:42
All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

I've always wondered how people who are well-read could view such a sentiment as anything other than a control mechanism.

If you study history, particularly ancient history, and read about all of the various religions that have existed throughout the years, this idea becomes more apparent. Throughout the years, humans are humans. Humans will always seek to control other humans. And what better way to control people than through fear of eternal torment?

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:42
I've always wondered how people who are well-read could view such a sentiment as anything other than a control mechanism.

If you study history, particularly ancient history, and read about all of the various religions that have existed throughout the years, this idea becomes more apparent. Throughout the years, humans are humans. Humans will always seek to control other humans. And what better way to control people than through fear of eternal torment?

Well said.

Also people use Religion as a Crutch when life is treating them bad.

At least it has nothing to do with money. :D:rolleyes:

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
I'm not sure about others, but I don't want the Bad Girls to be saved, I want them down in Hell with me.... ;o)

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
..and now governments and financial institutions control people than through fear of eternal torment!
How can people who are well-read accept such institutions as anything other than a control mechanism?

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
..and now governments and financial institutions control people than through fear of eternal torment!
How can people who are well-read accept such institutions as anything other than a control mechanism?
They do accept them as control mechanisms, because they are control mechanisms. Albeit in a far more concrete way.

Eternal torment is a bit of stretch, though (although it might feel like it).

Adam Caramon

Local time

Alc addressed part of it quite well. By immediately bringing up "government and financial institutions", you come off as quite defensive (i.e., trying to deflect). Then you pose a question to a situation that you yourself made up, which makes you appear either arrogant or disingenuous.

Alc said:
Eternal torment is a bit of stretch, though (although it might feel like it).

Hell versus the 30 year mortgage. That's a tough call :p

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Alc addressed part of it quite well. By immediately bringing up "government and financial institutions", you come off as quite defensive (i.e., trying to deflect). Then you pose a question to a situation that you yourself made up, which makes you appear either arrogant or disingenuous.

I think you missed 50s point! WE all know its a form of control. Which can be a force for good and bad, just like others control mechanisms which and you hinted yourself humans will always seek to do.

Your interest is in an optional control mechanism which you have opted out of . Ignore it.

Classy call of someone as defensive, arrogant and disingenuous by the way! Nice.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Sorry if you feel that my statement is read by you to appear that I feel I am above you or somehow lacking in sincerity.

The rest of what you typed makes no sense to me what so ever about a 'situation that you yourself made up'. I dont know what situation you are suggesting, I was just trying to indicate that there are a lot more people in 'the developed world' who have over extended themselves financially by purchasing with monies not yet earned. I was also trying to raise the idea that people have also allowed their governments to over control their lives.
I was trying to draw a similarity between the statement of religion controlling the population over history and the current situation where people are becoming pawns to financial institutions which are shored up by all levels of governments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom