Do you believe in The Supernatural? (1 Viewer)

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
Today, 16:36
I don't believe I have seen a thread on this subject as of yet.

So here goes!

Have you ever experienced or do you believe in any sort of supernatural entities?

I know we will have some whole hearted sceptics on this forum (in fact I'm counting on it!)

It has always been a interesting subject to me and I love hearing peoples creepy stories :p (You can talk about none supernatural scary stories, they're just as interesting! :D)

Me First ! (Before anyone says I was on drugs or turning into a fruit loop I wasn't or at least not the first one! :p)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I was 15 me and my siblings would play a (self proclaimed) amazing board game called "Risk". This time there was me (15) my brother (18) and his girlfriend (17). It was a very fun pass time for myself and my siblings to play.

No-one but us were present in the house at this point. We were left to play with our board game, We were playing undisturbed for around 20 minutes. Then suddenly a prominent but yet quiet knock on my back door (which is creepy enough as no-one can access my back door without climbing a fence).

My brother being the wimp he is asks me to go take a look, so I did. (I'm guessing to no-ones surprise) Nobody was there. A little shook up we sat down and tried to resume our game but 5 minutes later a repeat occurrence, but 2 knocks this time. This time a little angrier me stepped up and went outside thinking its children playing a trick, I scoured my back garden - nothing.

I went back inside and locked the door, We packed up our things and went upstairs (me, scaredy cat and his girlfriend) obviously shaken up, we went upstairs to watch a film until my parents were back.

For a good hour constant voices and footsteps were heard from downstairs and even footsteps coming up my stairs. (Wierdest thing, to this day about this occurrence is that the voice was that of my sister and she went with my parents.)

I could never explain this incident, and have always put it down to our house being haunted.

Many more occurrences have lead me to believe that my house is haunted, but some more stories shall follow.

Anyone got any opinions? ;) (This actually wasn't made up and to this day things happen in my house that cannot be explained)

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
A friend of mine used to live with an OCD Poltergeist, it lived in her Bathroom, and on occasions if towels were left on the Bath, it would neatly fold them and leave them in the bath tub itself.

I tried it with my dirty laundry once, clearly the ghost didn't like my taste in clothes...lol

True Story though...

My friend lived in an old converted Church, The Crypt was still under the house, but could not be accessed anymore.

Spooky...

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 12:36
The only thing that keeps me from saying straight-up "No" is this:

Back in 91 (I was turning 21 the next day), I was visiting a friend in Lansing. We were going to hit the bar that evening, and we stopped by a house a couple of his friends lived in first. At one point, I asked about getting a glass of water and was pointed to their kitchen. While I was filling a glass, I noticed in the window in front of me the reflection of a little girl, about 4 or 5. (It was winter and around 8pm, so it was dark, thus the reflection.)

No, that's not the spooky part.

I turned around and smiled at her, and she waved, giggled, and ran off. I headed back to the living room and told my friend's friends that they had a cute little girl, and what was her name?

"What are you talking about? We don't have kids."

"I just saw her in the kitchen. She waved at me and ran this way."

"I'm serious, we don't have any kids. You probably saw the ghost."

*blink*

Turns out that a little girl had been murdered in the house maybe 30 years prior. My friend's friends said they were always having things moved when they weren't looking and seeing movement out of the corner of their eye.

I'm a firm believer in the idea that everything can eventually be explained scientifically, but, assuming they were telling the truth, bugger me if I can explain what was going on there.

And no, I never saw nor heard her after that. They even gave me a quick tour of the home, and there was no kid's room.

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
A friend of mine used to live with an OCD Poltergeist, it lived in her Bathroom, and on occasions if towels were left on the Bath, it would neatly fold them and leave them in the bath tub itself.

I tried it with my dirty laundry once, clearly the ghost didn't like my taste in clothes...lol

True Story though...

My friend lived in an old converted Church, The Crypt was still under the house, but could not be accessed anymore.

Spooky...

Maybe it was a maid ? may explain the folding?

I'd more than except it into my house! saves me doing it :p

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
The only thing that keeps me from saying straight-up "No" is this:

Back in 91 (I was turning 21 the next day), I was visiting a friend in Lansing. We were going to hit the bar that evening, and we stopped by a house a couple of his friends lived in first. At one point, I asked about getting a glass of water and was pointed to their kitchen. While I was filling a glass, I noticed in the window in front of me the reflection of a little girl, about 4 or 5. (It was winter and around 8pm, so it was dark, thus the reflection.)

No, that's not the spooky part.

I turned around and smiled at her, and she waved, giggled, and ran off. I headed back to the living room and told my friend's friends that they had a cute little girl, and what was her name?

"What are you talking about? We don't have kids."

"I just saw her in the kitchen. She waved at me and ran this way."

"I'm serious, we don't have any kids. You probably saw the ghost."

*blink*

Turns out that a little girl had been murdered in the house maybe 30 years prior. My friend's friends said they were always having things moved when they weren't looking and seeing movement out of the corner of their eye.

I'm a firm believer in the idea that everything can eventually be explained scientifically, but, assuming they were telling the truth, bugger me if I can explain what was going on there.

And no, I never saw nor heard her after that. They even gave me a quick tour of the home, and there was no kid's room.

Spooky stuff, Kids, WHY IS IT ALWAYS KIDS! creepy f***ers. :p

We have had sightings in my house, but it is always a very tall man in a black trenchcoat. (like a business man) a medium (if you believe they are actually what they say they are) said it was my great granddad.

Even if she was telling us a whole load of bull, It at least gave us peace of mind and also made us feel like we were being watched over (what she said).

I always tend to see him out the corner of my eye, sort of like a second glance sort of thing (there one minute, gone the next).

We also have what's believed as a child ghost, temperamental and hates being ignored. Moves objects behind the TV (barely accessible and not a usual place to put things).

One time we were all having our hairs cut by the home hairdresser, and we were all congregated in the kitchen. I was having my haircut and we were all deep in conversation when suddenly a 20 pence coin comes flying from the other side of an empty room and misses my sister by about 2 inches from her face.

No-one else was in that room as to why we know it hates being ignored. as to why we think it is a child (moving things , playing and throwing)

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
My aunt's best friend claims to be a medium.

Thus far I have never seen her come up with anything that wasn't one of:
  • so vague it could mean anything
  • patently obvious
  • something that could have been picked up simply by observation and listening
  • something that could easily have been made up out of whole cloth because it's what people want to hear ("Your mother wants you to know she loves you.")

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Um...makonvict? You're the only person here who HASN'T shared a story. :p

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time

Thus far I have never seen her come up with anything that wasn't one of:
  • so vague it could mean anything
  • patently obvious
  • something that could have been picked up simply by observation and listening
  • something that could easily have been made up out of whole cloth because it's what people want to hear ("Your mother wants you to know she loves you.")

I'm not talking about those ones Frothing :p

I'm talking about the ones who can pinpoint you out and tell you personal things that only your relatives would know.

They are the creepy ones :p

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
1) He did a number of quick, pointless posts. Might have been trying to get to 10 posts for some reason and got slapped down.
2) I mentioned a medium simply because I know one personally, that's all. I've actually met a few, and every single one I've met to date has been provably fake. Some of them are REALLY good at saying things that are incredibly general but don't sound it, and at extrapolating correctly from the tiniest of clues.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:36
I do not believe in ghosts, but I know that there are evil spirits (i.e., demons, fallen angels, etc.). I do not know what they are capable of, but I suspect they may be the cause of some of these 'oddities'.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
I believe they exist....Why??????Mainly because over the years it is too well documented not to be true. Take the most publicized example: The Amityfille Horror.

A better question is WHY do they exist?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time

Shall I do the joke about extra large in the rest of the world is called medium in the USA?

No best not, yanks are too sensitive about their obesity.

Col

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
I do not believe in ghosts, but I know that there are evil spirits (i.e., demons, fallen angels, etc.). I do not know what they are capable of, but I suspect they may be the cause of some of these 'oddities'.

I believe you have watched one to many episodes of Supernatural buddy.. :p

What makes you believe in Demons, Angels, etc and not Ghosts?

Surely Ghost are much more plausible than the former, and much better documented.

Libre

been around a little
Local time
I've seen a lot of strange things - things I could not explain - yet I was never (after childhood) tempted to chalk them up to supernatural phenomena. It's not that I can't be tempted to try on the idea for a little bit, and see what believing in at least the POSSIBILITY of it feels like, but I soon find that the fit is not a good one.
I see no difference at all between the belief in supernatural beings and the belief in divinity. All one and the same to me.
So in other words, NO, I do NOT believe in the supernatural - or in the existence of a sentient being (in other words a God) that created the universe. The failure to explain an odd or weird occurrence (little children at the window, who are supposed to be dead, the pitter-patter of ghosts in the attic) does not constitute evidence of the supernatural - as I'm sure most of our forum members would be the first to admit.
Nor, do I believe that there are people with ESP, clairvoyance, pre-cognition, or any extra-sensory powers. Some people are good guessers, some are especially astute, and some are merely lucky.
I think that these things have been studied to the point that if they did exist there would be unequivocal evidence to support them, and yet such evidence is lacking.
But hey, I sure don't know all there is to know, and this lack of omniscience gives me some room to ponder the unknown, to muse about the possibilities, and the space to admit that maybe I'm quite mistaken.

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
I believe you have watched one to many episodes of Supernatural buddy.. :p

What makes you believe in Demons, Angels, etc and not Ghosts?

Surely Ghost are much more plausible than the former, and much better documented.

Legend of a TV show!

Indeed not much evidence behind the demons and angels malarkey.

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
I've seen a lot of strange things - things I could not explain - yet I was never (after childhood) tempted to chalk them up to supernatural phenomena. It's not that I can't be tempted to try on the idea for a little bit, and see what believing in at least the POSSIBILITY of it feels like, but I soon find that the fit is not a good one.
I see no difference at all between the belief in supernatural beings and the belief in divinity. All one and the same to me.
So in other words, NO, I do NOT believe in the supernatural - or in the existence of a sentient being (in other words a God) that created the universe. The failure to explain an odd or weird occurrence (little children at the window, who are supposed to be dead, the pitter-patter of ghosts in the attic) does not constitute evidence of the supernatural - as I'm sure most of our forum members would be the first to admit.
Nor, do I believe that there are people with ESP, clairvoyance, pre-cognition, or any extra-sensory powers. Some people are good guessers, some are especially astute, and some are merely lucky.
I think that these things have been studied to the point that if they did exist there would be unequivocal evidence to support them, and yet such evidence is lacking.
But hey, I sure don't know all there is to know, and this lack of omniscience gives me some room to ponder the unknown, to muse about the possibilities, and the space to admit that maybe I'm quite mistaken.

I too do not believe in a sentient being, but I have experienced too much to be able to just put it down to some rational explanation :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom