Don't say "Gay" bill? (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:27
For Christ's sake what's that all about?

Honestly, I don't want to offend anyone, but surely it's a lot better for me to say are you gay? than do you sleep with men?

Really, I just think it's about them wrong footing you. I remember other terms that were used to describe gay people, one was "shirtlifter", there was "poof" and there are other terms which indeed should not be mentioned.

So my question is what are you supposed to say? What is the preferred description and I'm sure once it's been in circulation for a while it will become offensive for some reason. I give up!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Let's put it another way.... "Don't Say Gay" is an instruction that implies that by saying "Gay" I am being offensive.

I put it to you that no, I'm not the one at fault, you are! By implying something I say is offensive to you, without offering an alternative, is a deliberate attempt on your part to show me in a bad light.

The woke idea is to be nice and caring, so you should live up to this ideal and present it differently, you should say I would prefer "dyjtteht" or something.

Rant mode off!!!!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:27
I was recently corrected on this topic. Turns out that "straight America" is trying to reclaim "gay" as a normal word. So the LGBTQ+ crowd has suggested "festive" as an alternative for "gay." In New Orleans, though, "festive" is ALSO likely to be co-opted.

The way I see it, you might be ahead of the game if I remember to avoid using the word "queer" as a gender preference description.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Today, 10:27
Honestly, I don't want to offend anyone, but surely it's a lot better for me to say are you gay? than do you sleep with men?
Tough question to answer, but a study into the history of their acceptance might help answer the question.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
I was recently corrected on this topic. Turns out that "straight America" is trying to reclaim "gay" as a normal word. So the LGBTQ+ crowd has suggested "festive" as an alternative for "gay." In New Orleans, though, "festive" is ALSO likely to be co-opted.
All this branding is to sell the ideology to more people.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Let's put it another way.... "Don't Say Gay" is an instruction that implies that by saying "Gay" I am being offensive.
I see it more as they shielding themselves from condemnation, more disorganization will come into the world in the future as a result of such.

Eugene-LS

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:27
I have an unconventional sexual orientation (I love girls), and it's hard for me to live among pederasts - they call me "straight", but I'm not offended, I was born that way.
In fact, I don't name them in any way, they are the same people who were born with different preferences - it doesn't bother me at all

Last edited:

Harrybrigham

Local time
I was brought up with "hetrosexual" and "queer" If anybody doesn't like it they should not talk to me or read anything I have written. These are the genders I recognise.

AngelSpeaks

Local time

The way I see it, you might be ahead of the game if I remember to avoid using the word "queer" as a gender preference description.
I support the reclamation of the original meaning of the word gay. I'm tired of songs and books from long ago being branded offensive or rewritten because of the correct use of the term. I could swear based on a movie clip, that a favorite song in the new version of West Side Story was changed. I don't plan on watching this movie.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I support the reclamation of the original meaning of the word gay. I'm tired of songs and books from long ago being branded offensive or rewritten because of the correct use of the term. I could swear based on a movie clip, that a favorite song in the new version of West Side Story was changed. I don't plan on watching this movie.

Purely on musical issues, I wasn't planning to watch the new one either. The "Quintet" is the closest thing I've ever heard to pure musical genius. And the poignancy of "One Hand, One Heart" is a tear-jerker.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
For Christ's sake what's that all about?
Gizmo, it has absolutely nothing to do with that.
That's just the nickname of the bill by some people.

The bill prohibits schools and teachers from trying to indoctrinate otherwise normal students into thinking that homosexuality is normal and is an option for them. It limits discussions and conversations about issues such as gender confusion and sexual orientation confusion in general.

Has nothing to do with what this thread has become

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I have an unconventional sexual orientation (I love girls), and it's hard for me to live among pederasts - they call me "straight", but I'm not offended, I was born that way.
In fact, I don't name them in any way, they are the same people who were born with different preferences - it doesn't bother me at all
I don't feel I need to name people either, but I also don't walk around the neighborhood running around telling everybody I meet or wearing t-shirts that make sure everyone knows that I am a man who is attracted to women. Nobody gives a crap.

Therefore, the most reasonable thing for the other side would actually be to behave in the same way...

But that common Sense equilibrium seems to have been lost as the latest fads prevail

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@Isaac, don't you know?... The strange thing about common sense is how uncommon it is to find it.

Almost the perfect oxymoron.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:27
A good while back I went along to a public speaking group in order to improve my dismal presentation abilities. There was woman there who's name was Gay and she bemoaned that her name used to be just a name. She died some time back. I'm sure Gay has dropped from the list of female names for girl babies but I wonder how many older women are called Gay. Anyone know of one?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Just let the poofters get on with it. They just need to learn to keep their gobs shut and stop banging on about it. If people want to be queer, or mentally deranged by dressing up thinking you're female, just don't try to mention it every five minutes.
In the UK, we have some adverts on the TV showing two queers kissing - it's vomit making and shouldn't be allowed.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Actually, thinking about this equality stuff. The French have had unisex public toilets for years, long before women wanted to be men and men wanted to be women.
Col

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I was brought up with "hetrosexual" and "queer"

Well queer is a term I would have used at school, but I'm not sure about heterosexual I doubt if I would have known what it meant!

When I was at school it was illegal to be gay! Now they teach school kids how to be gay!

Like I said:- I give up!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom