Solved Duets or songs that have several artists (1 Viewer)

lodmark

Local time
Today, 13:39
Hi!
How do you handle this best if you want an artist table that only has unique values without duplicates?
Duets such as No More Tears with Barbara Streisand and Donna Summer or Lady Marmalade with Christina Aguilera, Lil Kim, Mya and Pink.
These four are listed as solo artists in the artist table. I want to avoid adding a post with these four together.
At the same time, I want all four to be shown on that track on the record.
Do I add more fields for the artist to the song table or can I create a many to many table that has multiple entries for a song with multiple artists?
What will be the best thing to do?

Leif

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 06:39
Given your stipulations, create a many-many table to sort out which artists sang which songs.

This also means you take out the Artist field from the Song table. All artists and their songs will now live in the new table.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 07:39
I think the standard for most media apps is to do it the other way. Looking at my tracks in Media monkey. I see the artist
Alison Kraus
Alison Kraus and Robert Plant
Alison Kraus and Union Station
Emylou Harris, Alison Kraus, and Gilian Welch

MM.jpg

However, you need to have some good tools to avoid creating different names for the same artists and a way to update to a common name. If you are pulling tags you can get multiple different names for one group
UB-40
UB 40
UB40
Guns N Roses
Guns N' Roses

I am not sure what the junction table gets you unless you are keeping data on the artist as well.

lodmark

Local time
Given your stipulations, create a many-many table to sort out which artists sang which songs.

This also means you take out the Artist field from the Song table. All artists and their songs will now live in the new table.
Thanks for your feedback @plog . That's how I learned to do. But I did not take this into account when I created the database and now there will be problems with all questions that belong to different forms so I wanted to test if it was possible to get it in a different way. This is my database relations today. The new table must end up where I drew a red square.
Skärmklipp.PNG

Leif

lodmark

Local time
I think the standard for most media apps is to do it the other way. Looking at my tracks in Media monkey. I see the artist
Alison Kraus
Alison Kraus and Robert Plant
Alison Kraus and Union Station
Emylou Harris, Alison Kraus, and Gilian Welch

View attachment 87171

However, you need to have some good tools to avoid creating different names for the same artists and a way to update to a common name. If you are pulling tags you can get multiple different names for one group
UB-40
UB 40
UB40
Guns N Roses
Guns N' Roses

I am not sure what the junction table gets you unless you are keeping data on the artist as well.
Hi @MajP
Today I have done exactly as you describe it. But in this way I can not see that a certain artist has done a duet, that song ends up on a record with both artists.
I have a form for the artist where I in two sub forms where I can in one see which records I have with the artist and in the other which songs are on the records.
It would have been nice if I could have picked out the individual artists from the post with artists?
Like above with Emylou Harris, Alison Kraus, and Gilian Welch. If I search for only Emylou Harris I will get the song "Didn't Leave Nobody But The Baby" in the list, and in the artist field it will say Emylou Harris, Alison Kraus, and Gilian Welch.

Leif

Dreamweaver

Local time
Today, 12:39

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Since artist is also in tbl_music a similar structure must be built there.

Unrelated, does a song really have a media type? White Christmas by Bing Crosby released in 1942 exists as an MP3, pretty sure that's not how it was initially distributed.

lodmark

Local time
Since artist is also in tbl_music a similar structure must be built there.

Unrelated, does a song really have a media type? White Christmas by Bing Crosby released in 1942 exists as an MP3, pretty sure that's not how it was initially distributed.
So true @plog
This is going to be a bit of a long story.
My database is not really based on my record collection but on a list of songs I used in my radio programs.
The list is based on my record collection but it was made in Excel and consists only of the name of the song, the artist's name and in which program the song was played.
The list also includes songs that I do not own. I played these from Spotify.
When I planned my database, I wanted to tag these songs in some way. And then it got to be "SP" for Spotify on the song.
But of course you are absolutely right that a song can not have a media, but belong to a media.

Leif

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 12:39
Well, song lyrics are very important when you listen to music if you are facing a problem in finding lyrics of some song, you can search it on populyrics.com. The relaxing effects of softer music will generate a sense of relaxation, lowering negative sentiments and thus helping in the fight against depression. Many doctors suggest listening to songs to their clients.
Not when there are only 1466 lyrics? :mad:
Spam reported.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Do you personally reply to all spam emails too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom