Solved Editing and closing records (1 Viewer)

damo2deme

Local time
Today, 13:24
Hello everyone, thanks for your help in advance.

I have a form that is part completed by an employee (as per process), I have added this in add mode in the switchboard. I also have Edit mode in the switchboard because the record needs to be updated at a later date and then eventually closed.

I want to have a button or a function whereby when the case is closed via a button or function, the record is then copied to another table so that it cant be deleted or edited.

Anybody know how I could do this or have any ideas of how this could work better?

Thanks you.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:24
Hi. It is rarely something we see or recommend. Typically, we don't move data around in multiple tables. What we usually suggest is simply add a column to indicate what category or status the record is at that time.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 07:24
You wouldn't move data around, you would simply flag it somehow and then work with that flag. Sounds like you probably already have this flag available. If you look at your data how will you know a case is closed? Using whatever that is, you could either either build a query to base your form on (so no closed records open) or run an Onload event so when you load the form with a closed record it disables your form so the user can see the data but not edit it.

It all really depends on what you want to occur--be able to see closed records but not edit, or not even be able to see them. The answer though never involves moving data around.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:24
Key to understanding this is that your users NEVER see behind the scenes. If your users can only see the forms then you can modify the form's .RecordSource to not even show a closed record. If your users CAN see the tables and queries, you have no way to prevent anything.

damo2deme

Local time
Today, 13:24
Key to understanding this is that your users NEVER see behind the scenes. If your users can only see the forms then you can modify the form's .RecordSource to not even show a closed record. If your users CAN see the tables and queries, you have no way to prevent anything.
Ok i have done exactly that. I think ill mark as resolved. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom