email - DoCmd.SendObject - slow to load (1 Viewer)

DLTaylor

Local time
Today, 23:46
Hi All,

I look after a small MS Access application where basic emails can be generated via a button click.
(sometimes with attachment and sometimes without)

When we use the DoCmd.SendObject method the email now takes between 20 to 30 seconds to 'pop up' - previously this was 1 to 2 seconds.

We are using MS office 365 and continually update to use latest versions of Outlook and MS access.

(in the past it has been slow & then just got better... and now its gone slow again)

Can anyone help throw light on why this might be happening? Ive searched the net and cant see others having a similar problem.

When i strip everything back and use 'DoCmd.SendObject ' in a separate fresh DB it still goes slow.

Any help to this newbie will be very welcomed! :)
Many thanks

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:46
Hi. Just curious, is Outlook already open in the background when you use SendObject?

DLTaylor

Local time
yep - sure is :)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Is Outlook itself working fine and not slow to start a new email? Is Access working fast as normal except for when using SendObject? Is the slowness the same with and without attachment?

DLTaylor

Local time
Outlook works fast (and loads profile in 1 second - even when closed).
New emails create instantly.

The database is super quick. (lol)

The DoCmd works same speed with / without documents (i can see it seems to create document very quick)

cheers

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Outlook works fast (and loads profile in 1 second - even when closed).
New emails create instantly.

The database is super quick. (lol)

The DoCmd works same speed with / without documents (i can see it seems to create document very quick)

cheers

Have you tried using Outlook automation code? It’s a more direct way of generating an email using Outlook from Access. I’m just wondering if it will make a difference.

DLTaylor

Local time
this isnt something ive looked into. Im hoping is a known issue that someone has resolved.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
this isnt something ive looked into. Im hoping is a known issue that someone has resolved.

Sorry, I can’t say I am aware of any issues with speed when using SendObject. I use it, and I don’t have any issues.

DLTaylor

Local time
thanks for the help. Will leave post open and hope someone else has experienced this.
Cheers

London2019

Local time
Hi
We are having the same problem when using Access to send an email through Outlook. We cannot work out why this has happened when it had been working fine before.
We only use Windows and Office software. Please help!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Or you could send email direct from Access using CDO without Outlook being involved at all.
You can try that approach using my CDO Email Tester app.

Welcome to AWF

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi
We are having the same problem when using Access to send an email through Outlook. We cannot work out why this has happened when it had been working fine before.
We only use Windows and Office software. Please help!
Hi London. Welcome to AWF!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom