Employee Training Record System. (1 Viewer)

HillTJ

To train a dog, first know more than the dog..
Local time
Yesterday, 23:24
Hi, I'm trying to improve my knowledge by deciphering an existing database in an attempt to see how it works & to incorporate clues into my own. Seems that the original was written in 1997 & made available by the Axeon Co. I've attached a copy that maybe of use to the forum. I understand most of the logic, but my problem is that when I click the 'Training Matrix' option (lower right button), it appears to do the append process correctly but, when I select a 'Training Matrix' from the next pop-up window, the excel report is incorrect. I must admit that I don't understand the underlying code & welcome any assistance. I apologise in advance if my request is a bit vague.

Attachments

• Training Database 2.zip
    960 KB · Views: 100

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:24
The database has linked tables. What exactly is your experience with this database? I see a number of Paste errors (38 records)??
I don't know the logic nor the business behind the database.

HillTJ

Local time
jdraw, I don't know what the paste errors are, or how they come to be. The data included is 'demo' data not entered by myself & I'm unsure whether the paste errors are my doing or not. Even using the data supplied, I cannot export a report to excel with the existing data. Try selecting 'training matrix' then the next window & attempt to export to excel. I don't know what it does, but I only see the same employee. I've also added additional training to that employee, but it is not reflected on the report. I think the other tables & reports can be adapted for my use. I do not understand how the excel bit works. It even pops up the familiar excel 'password protect' option, but I don't know how. Appreciate any assistance, sorry that I cannot explain myself better.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 05:24
Have you made any changes to any of the objects?

If you made any changes, it would be helpful to see the original.

Please provide a link to where you downloaded it? There may be helpful information on the page.

HillTJ

Local time
HiTechCoach, I have not made any changes on this copy. I tried googling but cannot find where I downloaded from, will try again. Have attached some Instructions that were packaged with the database. On the surface, with a few mods this should be ideal for my application. I think it was written in 1997. I'm running latest Office & Access. Could this be an issue?

Attachments

• Training Database Instructions (PDF).pdf
    635.9 KB · Views: 83

HillTJ

Local time
HiTechCoach, thanks. It appears that i'm not alone, if that's any conciliation!. Shame it is incomplete. It seemed ideal for my application. To me it appeared that all worked except the excel matrix bit. Can anyone assist with this?

HillTJ

Local time
Appreciate it if someone could assist me with this. I don't follow the code. Cheers

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tried to look at it, and my machine is a Win10 that patches at least monthly if not sometimes twice per month. But it won't open for me. The ZIP shows me an MDB but when I try to open the file, it ACTS like that was a folder, which makes no sense.

Sorry, can't work with it.

zeroaccess

Local time
The database works, but the Training Matrix output requires a password to unlock the sheet.

HillTJ

Local time
zeroaccess, Surely there is a way of recreating the sheet without the password? There is a form 'frmMatrixfile' that seems to be the form that is called up by the routine. This is just beyond my level of experience & I don't understand how the code works. Would be very grateful if anyone could help.

bastanu

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:24
The code in the matrix form makes heavy use of SendKeys which is a very unpredictable way to code Office automation, but can be replaced if one puts the effort in.

The file (Excel workbook) is saved inside the db in tblMatrixFile as an Excel (.xls) file in an OLE field. You can open it from there, save it and try to remove the password (there are many Excel password-remover apps/ sites for the older Excel files like this). The VBA project of the file is also protected and that is where I stopped as I do not want to infringe on the original's developers rights. I suggest you try to contact them and see if they are willing to share the password/VBA code with you.

Cheers,
Vlad

HillTJ

Local time
Bastanau, Sorry for the delay in responding. I think it best for me to develop my own & use this model as a guide. Appreciate the Heads-Up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom