Enable/Disable Command Button (1 Viewer)

hudson426

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:48
Hi all

I'm having a problem with enabling and disabling a command button on a form. Here goes....

I have a form that has two fields on it

Name ----- Select
(Text) -- (Yes/No)

Jonathan Yes
Sue Yes
Alison Yes
David Yes

• If all four records are selected (Yes), I want to disable the command button
  • If there is at least one record de-selected (No), I want the command button to be enabled.
Underneath the data, there is a count() control. This control is called Text14 (sum(iif([select]="Yes",0,1)

There is a macro assigned to the AfterUpdate property on the select field called Refresh (Runcommand --> Refresh). This ensures the record count in Text14 is updated as soon as the records are selected etc.

The command button I want to enable/disable is called Command4

I have the following code set in the forms OnCurrent property

Private Sub Form_Current()
If [Text14] > 0 = True Then
Me.Command4.Enabled = True
Me.Command4.ControlTipText = "Continue"
Else
Me.Command4.Enabled = False
Me.Command4.ControlTipText = "There must be at least one search criteria included"
End If
End Sub

The problem...

If all four records are selected (Yes), the record count in Text14 = 0 BUT the command button isn't disabled until the focus is moved to the previous record or to the next record.

What am I missing??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

KenHigg

Local time
Yesterday, 23:48
You need to call like code from each of button update events.

Edit: I mean from each of the 'Select' field controls.

hudson426

Registered User.
Local time
Can you possibly give me an example?

KenHigg

Local time
What kind of control are you using to capture the 'Selected'? Are you using a check box?

KenHigg

Local time
So every time the check box value changes run the same pc of code.

hudson426

Registered User.
Local time
I can't. I need to have the macro (Refresh) to run before the code can run but that macro is assigned to the afterupdate event of the select (checkbox) property.

Is there a way to add a line of code to the one I am using (above) to refresh all the records before the code runs?

If so, what code do I need to add?

KenHigg

Local time
Move what ever the refresh macro does to code and put the 'enable/disable' code with it. I think you're heading off into an illogical tangent thinking you can somehow update all of the records to do something meaningful. Unless I'm missing something.

hudson426

Registered User.
Local time
Thats what I asked.

Using the code above, how do I refesh all the records? Is there a line of code I can insert to do the same function as the macro (Runcommand --> Refresh) into the enable/disble code?

What code do I need to perform a record refresh?

KenHigg

Local time
Please excuse me for appearing anal but why do you need the refresh to begin with?

hudson426

Registered User.
Local time
Don't apologise. In my original post, I detailed a control that counts the number of records that have been selected. I have found that unless you move to a previous or next record, the count function doesn't refresh. By adding a record refresh macro, the count is updated without the need to move from one record to the next. This is why I added and need this refresh macro. Because the refresh macro is added to the afterupdate event of the check box, I can't insert the enable/disable code there. If I can combine the two, then it will probably work.

Do you know how I can add a record refresh into the code in my original post? If so, what is it?

hudson426

Registered User.
Local time
Duh! (Me)

Works a treat. It now does exactly what I want. I'm a bit of a newbie so please accept my many thanks for your help on this. I know it was a little painful but I am very grateful for yoru help.

Jonathan

KenHigg

Local time
Sorry I didn't realize it sooner - :)

Glad you have it working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom