Enable/Disable ribbon button commands (1 Viewer)

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 12:33
When creating custom ribbons, at some points in the application I need to be able to enable and or disable the button commands. I know the syntax is enable = "false" or enable = "true", however How do you or can you do it in vba when the ribbon is active on the screen.

Sampaio Avelino

Local time
Today, 09:33
Hi

To change at runtime, use the attribute getEnabled.

See article below on how to configure the ribbon. It has a video lesson showing in more detail.

ribbon01(dot)com/tutoriais/tuto10eng.asp?id=1#inicio

Success

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 05:33
I think all the functionality for ribbons is handled via callback functions, so you define the 'getEnabled' element for a ribbon control using the name of the function to be called when the ribbon is redrawn. This is a control I use to open a form to manage ribbons in a USysRibbons table...
Code:
  <button id="cmdRibbons" label="Ribbons" imageMso="TableAutoFormat" onAction="RibbonClick" [COLOR="DarkRed"]getEnabled="ToolEnabled"[/COLOR] />
And since I don't want most users to be able to open this form, I only selectively enable it...
Code:
Sub ToolEnabled(Control As IRibbonControl, ByRef enabled)
  Select Case Control.ID
    Case "cmdRibbons"
      enabled = Sys.CurrentUser.SecureStatus < 1
    Case "cmdOtherControl"
      enabled = [COLOR="Green"]'this routine is invoked by various ribbon controls[/COLOR]
    Case Else
      enabled = False
  End Select
End Sub
But to invoke that ToolEnabled callback you need to call the Invalidate method of the IRibbonUI object, so you need a reference to it, so you need to hang onto it way back when it loads using: A Callback. In this case 'OnLoad'
Code:
<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui" [COLOR="DarkRed"]onLoad="OnMainLoad"[/COLOR] >
This might look like...
Code:
Private m_ribbon as IRibbonUI

Sub OnMainLoad(Ribbon As IRibbonUI)
[COLOR="Green"]  'handles the OnLoad callback of the customUI element
  'and saves the IRibbonUI object reference to m_ribbon[/COLOR]
  Set m_ribbon = Ribbon
End Sub
Then I might make that ribbon object available system-wide with a property like ...
Code:
Public Property Get MainRibbon as IRibbonUI
[COLOR="Green"]  'global property that re-exposes the ribbon system-wide
  'so consumers can call the IRibbonUI.Invalidate method as required
[/COLOR]  Set MainRibbon = m_ribbon
End Property
Finally, in the current event of a form, I might want to enable/disable a ribbon control. In that case I do this ...
Code:
Private Sub Form_Current()
[COLOR="Green"]  'consumes the global object reference to the ribbon
  'calls its invalidate method
  'and while rebuilding the ribbon your ToolEnabled() method will be called
  'to enable, or not, your control[/COLOR]
  MainRibbon.Invalidate
End Sub

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 12:33
As I expected it is not such a straight forward exercise to set up initally but easy once set up.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom