EOF error!!! please help (2 Viewers)

Pelerin13

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:05
thats the reason i'm trying to upgrade to 2007!!
jijijijijij but honestly it is running very smoothly on win XP pro SP3.
so far I’ve created another 2007 DB that connect to tables on that 97 one, and I was able to use the sales_orders from it. But my problem is that I have to run that code that pulls new orders from another system the sales reps are using to enter orders(all I know about it is that is using Java as front end interface).

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Well, if the code is not compatible with 2007, I'd rewrite so it uses the newer DAO syntax instead of trying to use the old code that may not work correctly.

Pelerin13

Registered User.
Local time
good point Banana, but there are tones of codes to go thru!!!
and that was just one action(load) one form...

Banana

Local time
I'm not hopeful that this will work but did you try converting the file?

The alternative is to install Jet 3.5 and reference DAO 3.5 object library but that can be weird with Access 2007 which comes with Jet 4.0. Note further that Jet itself is obsolete; we should be using ACE (basically Access' new version of Jet).

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I know this is like rubbing salt into wounds but I must -

This is one reason why you don't want to wait for so many versions to pass before you upgrade a program. Upgrading earlier many times will let you do it in smaller steps than in a huge chunk. But it is hard to want to upgrade if the program is working great.

Also, as far as design goes, this is one reason why you really want to use reusable code so that you only have to make the change in one place (if possible) and then making changes like this isn't so painful. But I know, it can be a hard path to get to where you program like that. I'm STILL making the attempt (although I'm getting to be a bit more successful now than several years ago). :)

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:05
it's strange, but i struggle to believe that your code worked in A97, and not in A2007.

I would add "option explicit" at the top of your code, in A97, and recompile it, to make sure it compiles with no errors. Then try and convert it all to A2007 again.

Pelerin13

Registered User.
Local time
I compiled it many times, every time I did that the only errors I get are the missing preferences .. so I added them and the errors gone …

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:05
I just tried compiling this in A97

it errors on .Dynaset

Banana

Local time
Pelerin - indulge me.

When you double-click the word "CreateDynaset", right-click and select "Definition" in the popup menu what happens?

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:05
For what it's worth…

Apart from this line: -

----------------------------------------------------------

which should have been commented out, that original code as posted in post #7 compiles in Access 2003.

Method to verify compilation: -
Dump the code in post #7 behind a Form.
Comment out the line mentioned above.
Go to Tools > References
Trash all the references you can.
Select: -
Microsoft DAO 2.5/3.5 Compatibility Library
Compile.
(It compiles but if it works is another matter.)

Another peculiar thing: -
The code seems to have been modified since version 97.
Generally speaking, code in Access 97 is not disambiguated with DAO.
At the time there was no reason to disambiguate because there was nothing ambiguous.
So the code looks 'fiddled' with after the release of Access 2000.
(Just re-read post #5… ;) )

In any case, trying to convert that code to any later version of Access would probably trash the: -
Microsoft DAO 2.5/3.5 Compatibility Library
and replace it with a DAO library that will not accept that syntax.
So I would say that any later DAO library version is the cause of this problem because it is not as tolerant of that syntax.

Seems to me that there are three choices: -
1. Re-write the code for the later version. Don’t forget, that means re-testing the code which could take even longer.
2. Re-write the code so as not to need a reference. Still needs re-testing.
3. After converting the code, trash the DAO reference installed by the conversion and reference the old 'Microsoft DAO 2.5/3.5 Compatibility Library'.

Not my call; time is money and it's not my money.

Chris.

Pelerin13

Registered User.
Local time
I agree Chris, it has something to do with the old ADO
Here is what I think I’m going to do, I’m gonna try one part/form at a time … and try to use more SQL statements instead wherever I can and eliminate procedures I don’t need any more …
If can get the export procedure to work I will be more than happy ;)
I’m kinda surprised that I had to install Delphi version 3, Oracle, Sybase + Access79 on my computer … JUST to get it to work !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom