er diagram (1 Viewer)

slimjen1

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:05
all, using access 2010; does anyone know of a way to create an er diagram from an existing database? I have inherited a fairly large database and need to make changes to some field properties and need to find out where these fields are located. I know I can go into tools and run the documenter but doesn't give me an easy format to look at. Any suggestions? thanks

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
Yesterday, 20:05
If you open the relationships view you can add the tables and setup the relationships between the pk/fks of the various tables. Then you should be able to generate a relationships report for the database that will allow you to print off the ERD.

slimjen1

Registered User.
Local time
I thought about that but there are a lot of tables and I need to make sure those fields I m looking for have the correct datatype. thanks

ButtonMoon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:05
There are numerous tools you can use to create ER diagrams and most of them will reverse-engineer an existing database and document it for you. There is a list of modelling tools here: http://www.databaseanswers.org/modelling_tools.htm

Avoid the Access "Relationships" window. It doesn't create proper ER diagrams and lacks basic features needed for any serious modelling work.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Avoid the Access "Relationships" window. It doesn't create proper ER diagrams and lacks basic features needed for any serious modelling work.
I'm going to have to disagree with that statement. Given that the relationship window is the only place in the GUI that you get to define a relationship, you can't really avoid it unless you want to write DDL queries or a lot of DAO code. I'm hoping Button isn't suggesting that you eschew referential integrity just because the relationship window s***s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom