Error when trying to change field data type (1 Viewer)

toad848

Local time
Today, 23:23
Hello,

I am using Access XP (2002) SP3 on Vista Home Basic SP1. When I try to change the data type of any field that's related to a field in another table, I get the error message

"You can't change the data type or field size of this field; it's part of one or more relationships. If you want to change the data type of this field, first delete it's relationships in the relationships window."

This is understandable, and so I open the relationships window, delete the offending relationship, press Ctrl+S to save, and then retry changing the field's data type. However, I still get the above error message. If at this point, I shut down Access, restart it, go back to the table and field I was working with, and then try to change the field's data type, it works. But why should I have to shut Access down repeatedly? Would anyone happen to have any insight into this problem?

Thank you.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 12:53
Are you actually closing the relationships windows before trying to edit the table?

toad848

Local time
Today, 23:23
Are you actually closing the relationships windows before trying to edit the table?
I just tried it again. Apparently, I need to close both the relationship window AND the table window (and then open the table again) in order for Access to let me edit the table. Is this normal?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:53
not sure about the table window - the thing about the relationship is that it is saying a number in table1 corresponds to a number in table2 - so you cant change the fieldtype in table1 without removing the relationship first

you should be aware that changing datatypes can start causing some of your queries etc to fail, and might involve you in a fair bit of maintenance

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom