Ever used Hamachi? (1 Viewer)

jsv2002

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:49
Ever used Hamachi? or Software VPN

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone had used it to set up VPN connections had tried it a while back before LogMeIn bought/took over but thought I'd give it another try.

Still a free version for personal use although the commercial version is only $39 been playing with it today mapped a network drive to another PC through the link after setting up on both machines stored a BE on the remote and relinked the tables worked like a charm :)

The re-linking took a while I'll admit but then again I'm using the free version that they do state uses their "slower" servers but was a hell of a lot easier to set up than some hardware VPN's (and software come to that..) I've tried before.

Anyone else used any other software VPN's just trying a few out as a solution to remote connection for users?

thanks all John

Last edited:

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:49
I'd be wary of linking to a Access backend across VPN. Access does not handle dropping connections, even if only temporary and very brief.

If it's across a office LAN, there's no problem, but on WAN, it's a different world where packets are much more likely to get lost in transit, connection dropping and timing out (which is then silently recovered from in most web application)

You mentioned in the other thread that you didn't want to spend on terminal services; if you need WAN connectivity using an existing Access database, it's basically either 1) using Terminal Service/Citrix/VNC; there are various freewares (RealVNC comes to mind, and in conjunction with PuTTY can be used to create a secure connection, but I don't think it'll scale well and don't even know if it'd let you have more than one user logged concurrently) or 2) use a RDMBS backend that can support TCP/IP networking; MySQL or PostegreSQL both work with Access quite well and they're free.

jsv2002

Registered User.
Local time
Have you actually looked at the specs for it.. the wan is no more likely to drop out if connected to terminal services or any other solution (used VNC not bad but not great either)

It IS a secure connection then packet loss is not restricted to what method you are using just a fact of not being directly connected the beauty of Hamachi is it use P2P protocol so if it don't match not used ;)

Last edited:

Larycom

Local time
Yesterday, 17:49
LogMeIn Hamachi is a hosted VPN service that securely connects devices and networks, extending LAN-like network connectivity to mobile users, distributed teams and business applications. You can easily create secure virtual networks on-demand, across public and private networks. Hamachi is managed and maintained from anywhere via the web, securely.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:49
the wan is no more likely to drop out if connected to terminal services or any other solution (used VNC not bad but not great either)

This is true. However, with a VNC solution (Citrix, TS, etc) you are not transferring data. You are transferring screen shots one direction and keyboard input and mouse clicks in the other direction. Losing some data on the VNC connection will not harm the database whereas dropping a connection while transferring data to an open table will.

SHADOW

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
The difference with a Terminal Server solution are Sessions. You can configure a delay in the Session Time-Out caused by a loss of WAN connectivity and when remote users regain a connection the Session is preserved.

You can actually walk away from one PC to another and resume your Session.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom