Excel to Access (1 Viewer)

Danny

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:24
Greetings,

We use Excel 2010 to input detailed information about a given data element and use save as CSV to export to a third party application that we use for data definition purposes

The third party application allows us to import a CSV template limited to 10 fields (A – J). Since we want to document additional information about a given data element (like workflow, example, status etc), we entered multiple pieces of date per cell. This has been very time consuming and thought Access will simplify this process.

Based on my sample1, the Access form would have:

Field Name1
Description:
Workflow:
Keep History:
Field Name 2
Description:
Workflow:
Keep History:
And create a report (CSV) format when imported to the third party application looks like my sample2.

Can you please give me some guidance the best way to accomplish this in Access?

TIA,

Attachments

• sample1.zip
    23.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Sample2.zip
    13.5 KB · Views: 49

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 16:24
I know its the sexy and fun part of a database, but forms are the last thing to think of when building a database. You have to have a solid foundation before you start mixing paint for the upstairs guest bedroom. So, put forms out of your mind and start thinking about the tables that you will need for this.

..we entered multiple pieces of date per cell

This doesn't fly in a database. Each distinct piece of data goes into its own field. So, from the sounds of it, you are going to need at least 2 tables. One to hold the main data, then another table to add all the data currently going into this one cell.

My advice is to read up on 'normalization' (google that) and then find a few tutorials online about setting up the proper table structure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom