Extract Data To Build A Report... Golf-Skins Report; Multiple Winners Per Hole (1 Viewer)

Andy Teal

Local time
Today, 17:55
Help! I have golf data (scores hole-by-hole); but I need to use it. I seek to create a skins report by selecting data based on criteria hole-by-hole. The skins report would consider:
1 par per hole, if there are no lower scores on that hole. Or...
Up to 2 birdies per hole; if there are no lower scores; or...
Up to 2 eagles per hole; if there are no lower scores; or...
Up to 2 albatross
The report would extract/auto-fill a table/report with the name(s) of the golfers.

Who knows this is a piece of cake, simple, no major issue.... I am awaiting your help to resolve this item.

Attachments

• Skins Report Table.zip
    8.6 KB · Views: 69
  • export (3).zip
    12 KB · Views: 75

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:55
I don't know golf. Clarify terminology. What is par/birdie/eagle per hole? What is albatross?

Do you want to retrieve the two best scores per hole?

Might be possible with some fancy formulas in Excel or VBA in Excel. I would probably import to Access (or link to Excel from Access), rearrange data to normalized structure (a UNION query can do that), and filter/sort records in another query.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:55
@June7 - In the fine old game of golf, a golf course is made up of 18 holes. One round of golf is to play the holes in numbered order and count the number of strokes (swinging the golf club to strike the ball and propel it forward) from the starting point of each hole (hitting from the tee box) to the ending point (rolling the ball into the cup) on an area known as the green. In between the tee and green is an area known as the fairway. The length of each hole varies and that variance is a contributor to the difficulty of the hole. It might be interesting but is irrelevant to the question to discuss other areas between tee and green.

The estimated difficulty of a hole is expressed as the estimated number of strokes required to get from tee to green, and this estimate is called par. For professional course, holes will have par values of 3, 4, or 5 depending on length and complexities introduced by the shape (path) of the hole, which does NOT have to be perfectly linear.

Taking the estimated number of strokes to finish the hole is said to make par (hence the common English phrase "par for the course"). Golfers over the years have made up fanciful names for the actions of taking more or fewer strokes than par. So for example, taking one extra stroke (above par) is a bogey and taking two extra strokes is a double bogey and so on. Taking FEWER strokes than par gets the bird names. A birdie is 1 under par; an eagle is 2 under par; a double eagle (also called an albatross - "a very rare bird") is 3 under par. I don't know that I've ever heard of the name for 4 under par on a single hole because it is so very unlikely, but if it ever happens, it would hit sports headlines.

The only other special name commonly recorded as a statistic is an ace for a player hitting the ball into the cup from the tee area, in effect taking only a single stroke to start and finish the hole. Because you need a relatively long hole to have at least a par of 4 (or 5), albatrosses are even rarer than aces, which most often occur on short holes.

Andy's question regarding a "skins" game relates to how the scoring works. In most tournaments, it is total strokes from 1st tee to 18th green, or worse, your 4-day total strokes for 4 rounds over 4 days. There are alternate formats where you count individual holes as 18 individual mini-contests. He is describing the latter, with the added bonus that if there is a per-hole prize, low score on a hole wins the prize - but if there is a tie, the prize carries over to add to the next hole's prizes, and prizes continue to accumulate until someone outright wins a hole.

Andy Teal

Local time
I don't know golf. Clarify terminology. What is par/birdie/eagle per hole? What is albatross?

Do you want to retrieve the two best scores per hole?

Might be possible with some fancy formulas in Excel or VBA in Excel. I would probably import to Access (or link to Excel from Access), rearrange data to normalized structure (a UNION query can do that), and filter/sort records in another query.
Hello June,
I am not an expert in golf too. Thanks to @The_Doc_Man, now I understand more about golf. Can you give me some idea on how to build that report? I would be really really grateful.

Thanks.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:55
Thanks, Doc, that does explain a lot about the game (clarifying terms I've heard but never really understood). However, I still don't know what output OP wants.

I see scores for each hole for each player, but I don't see any par values so I don't know how the par could be a factor in this process. How do we know a score is an eagle or a birdie?

Andy, if you can describe steps you would follow in deciding what result to return for each hole, then should be able to code the algorithm. If you just want to retrieve the lowest score for each hole, that would be relatively simple.

Last edited:

GaP42

Local time
Today, 21:55
Andy, a "skins" round generally works by the lowest score on a hole, if scored by only one player, earns the skin. If more than one player has the lowest score on the hole then the skin prize carries to the next hole (and if not resolved at the end of the round then it .. some rule you decide). There is no reference to Par - so the rules in your opening request don't appear to apply. BTW - there do not appear to be PAR values stored in the hole information to refer to anyway.

So check the rules you want to apply -
For a round / date / course and hole
Start by determining the lowest score for a hole, commencing at hole 1? Needs to ignore null or 0
For that score, count how many golfers had that score
If score count = 1 then Skins winner
For this row, get name, hole no and score, write to results. (Awarded?)
else no winner this hole
on results sheet golfer name = "no one"?, hole no, score = nothing
end if
next hole

A possible process.

GaP42

Local time
Review the attached - implemented as I described, if that method suits. I made the report a tab of the export xlsx. Most formulae on export tab

Attachments

• export GaP42.zip
    17 KB · Views: 59

Andy Teal

Local time
@GaP42, this is progress. Thanks a lot. The traditional "skin" in golf is not what I am seeking. Programs already exist for that. The tools that you provided are eye opening areas for me. But, I have the need to automate results for the following.

The report/results would consider:
"TWO LOW SCORES...less than par pre hole"
1 par per hole, if there are no lower scores on that hole. Or...
Up to 2 birdies per hole; if there are no lower scores; or...
Up to 2 eagles per hole; if there are no lower scores; or...
Up to 2 albatross
The report would extract/auto fill a table/report with the name(s) of the golfers, hole number, and hole score. There is more, but those are the basics.

There are a few more wrinkles. Once this equation has been solved. I could build upon it to have this to cover 3, 4, 5, and all lower scores per hole. I hope that clarified the problem I am trying to solve. Thanking you in advance.

data files and report example attached...

Attachments

• export (3) (1).zip
    12 KB · Views: 74

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:55
To score the "skins" you don't need anything but low score. To keep stroke statistics such as birdies per hole, you need the fanciful names. So you are doing two things at once here.

GaP42

Local time
The spreadsheet suppled does NOT have a column for what is PAR for any hole (unless it is hidden somewhere). Without a value for PAR for each hole it is impossible to do the calculations you require.

Not sure about the details of your rules even when par scores are available: I think basically -
  1. Determine lowest score for a hole
  2. Determine how many golfers achieved that score
  3. Determine Par - the lowest score (This where the PAR score for each hole is needed)
  4. If less than par and no of golfers = 2 or less then skin is awarded to each of these players (ie birdies, eagles, albatross, or anything less! o_O)
    • (if there are 3 players or more with the low score then no skin is awarded)
  5. If score = par and only one golfer with that score then award skin
  6. If lowest score greater than par - no skin awarded.
Are the above the rules? Steps 3456 are an extension of what was provided. Do you want to try it?

Andy Teal

Local time
The spreadsheet suppled does NOT have a column for what is PAR for any hole (unless it is hidden somewhere). Without a value for PAR for each hole it is impossible to do the calculations you require.

Not sure about the details of your rules even when par scores are available: I think basically -
  1. Determine lowest score for a hole
  2. Determine how many golfers achieved that score
  3. Determine Par - the lowest score (This where the PAR score for each hole is needed)
  4. If less than par and no of golfers = 2 or less then skin is awarded to each of these players (ie birdies, eagles, albatross, or anything less! o_O)
    • (if there are 3 players or more with the low score then no skin is awarded)
  5. If score = par and only one golfer with that score then award skin
  6. If lowest score greater than par - no skin awarded.
Are the above the rules? Steps 3456 are an extension of what was provided. Do you want to try it?
Dear @GaP42,

yes, you have it exactly. And yes, I would like for you to create it. I am attaching the file that will include the par score per hole.

The data file now incorporated course par per hole row 1. And to have it to automatically generate a report displaying the winners without null lines. The report table should include; the golfers name, hole number won, won with score.

Best Regards.

Attachments

• export (3) (2).zip
    13.1 KB · Views: 68

GaP42

Local time
Andy, see attached file. The report is on the second sheet. Hope it works for you.

Attachments

• export GaP42.zip
    22.2 KB · Views: 61

Andy Teal

Local time
Andy, see attached file. The report is on the second sheet. Hope it works for you.
@GaP42, great work so far. I changed the number 1 hole scores to display two par 4's. No score was lower. The report/the data pointed to 2 skins on the hole that made with a score par 4.

That change should have reported 0; no award on this hole. Under that situation.

Remember; when there are no scores less than par. Only a single/sole winner is selected... meaning if par is the lowest score on that hole. I have attached the modified t-sheet. Take a look at it.

Attachments

• export GaP42 (2).zip
    21.4 KB · Views: 62

GaP42

Local time
Fixed it and a few other minor bits. Check it out

Attachments

• export GaP42-upd.zip
    24.2 KB · Views: 82

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom