Feature to ignore selected forum sections (1 Viewer)

Do you want the ability to filter out certain forum sections?

• Yes - peace at last!

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • No - I want omnipresence

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don't mind either way

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:38
Would you like/want/use a feature that allows you to filter out certain forum sections? If yes, please list the forum sections you would filter out?

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ultimately, if I don't ask what people want, I won't be able to engineer the perfect site for members. You can never please everybody. Although in this case, maybe such a feature would! It would let people tailor the forums to their specific desires. e.g. the could hide the entire non-access areas if they wished. They could turn an "Access + Other" forum into an "Access only" forum, should they wish. And those who just come for the banter could hide the non-Access areas!

@Tera, you never mentioned which forum sections you would nuke...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Frankly, I don't blame you. I try to avoid the Politics section because it is inflammatory, but then I see a post and find it hard not to respond. I'm sure I have far better ways to spend my time!

Edit: I found this review of the plugin interesting. :giggle:

1598275850059.png

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:38
Feature to ignore selected forum sections

We already have that feature it's called free will.

Maybe we should limit how many times a person can answer Access questions a day. A case could be made that only two or three VIP's answer questions. Everybody else gets frustrated and moves to the non-technical side for a good bashing. ;)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Still no reply from the plugin creator. I've signed up for the forum, PM'd via the Xenforo forum, emailed via the website. As mentioned in another thread, the seller is a bit slow to respond. I will keep at it until I get the plugin. I think it could be a big improvement for many members here, perhaps even transformative.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've made some progress! Managed to get in touch with the plugin seller, after finding a couple of his emails. Hope to move on this soon.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The guy who sells the Ignore plugin also has a couple of other great ones which I will probably get.

Firstly, one compresses all the images on the forum. This means that it improves page load times, in particular if there are pages heavy in images. But it also compresses the avatar images too. Faster load times improve user experience and also feeds Googles algo nicely.

Secondly, auto reply to thread. I intend to have an auto message going to new posters in the Introductions forum. In there will be a link to a survey, to gather some data on why they came, etc. It helps if I understand why they came and what their needs are.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yay, I got a reply! Off to make the purchase of either 1, 2 or 3 plugins...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Just bought all 3 plugins.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
OK, as a test I ignored the watercooler forum, and whilst in the forum after the ignore, I had an UnIgnore button.
Coming out to the forum list, the watercooler forum is gone.

Wait!, I made a mistake, I want back in. :)
How do I get it back as it does not appear in the profile Ignore list.?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've just uninstalled the plugin as I am experience some site performance problems. Trying to diagnose why.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I've just uninstalled the plugin as I am experience some site performance problems. Trying to diagnose why.
Ah, that might explain why the forums came back. :D

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ok, I switched it back on. The page speed scores for the site seem to be down and I cannot work out why. Unless, perhaps, it is the Covid effect.

So, the Ignore feature is here, for now. It might go again and come back as I fiddle about with stuff, but get stuck in there and have a go.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
It works perfectly! After ignoring several forums, I not only didn't see those forums listed at all, but saw no posts from them in the pane over on the right-hand side where recent posts dynamically refresh. Wow!

To un-ignore, I went into my account details, to the Ignoring section.

Great work, Jon. I don't want to ignore any forums at the moment, but can attest to its effectiveness, from what I can tell anyway.

Reactions: Jon

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Ok, I switched it back on. The page speed scores for the site seem to be down and I cannot work out why. Unless, perhaps, it is the Covid effect.

So, the Ignore feature is here, for now. It might go again and come back as I fiddle about with stuff, but get stuck in there and have a go.
@Jon, I just did a quick/crazy experiment. I ignored a thread I was watching (just as a test). You probably already know the answer, but it seems "ignore" trumps "watched." I didn't even get any notifications. Just FYI...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Thanks for that feedback. It would make sense to me. Do you have any forum sections Ignored?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I'm also ignoring all the usual suspects -politics, watercooler, gaming, debates as well as YKW.
Yes its much calmer now which is a blessing. Thanks

However I'm still getting email notifications to threads in the ignored forums that I had previously replied to and was therefore 'watching'
If possible can the plug-in be adjusted to block those notifications as well.
Otherwise its means unignoring them, then manually 'unwatching' the threads concerned before ignoring those areas again. Can that be managed by plug-in settings or is there a quicker method that I can use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom