Field too small error on combo box (1 Viewer)

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:51
Hello,

I have a form with a combo box for "Title", the options are Mr., Mrs, Miss, Ms, and Dr. I have the value set for Short Text, 50 characters, yet I am getting this error. Has anyone run across this or have any idea what is happening?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:51
The 50 character setting you refer to is on the field that you'll be storing data in (assuming the combo is bound) and not on the field that provides the combo list items, yes? Then check the bound field for any data validation settings that are not correct, such as "= > 50" because that would mean the field must contain at least 50 characters.

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
The field is not required, has no validation settings, allow zero length is "yes". Not sure what the problem is. The field is bound to my "Users" table.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
You don't say when this is happening. Upon combo selection/update? Moving off of or saving the record? Is there a query behind the form that's involved? Choosing a combo list item doesn't initiate any record save by any chance?

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
It happens when I choose a title. It keeps the title and lets me continue, but I can't have an error popping up. Very confused about this one.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I'm out of ideas, but then again, you don't answer every question. If you can post a db copy I'll take a look and see if I can spot the problem.

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry if I didn't answer all the question. It's been a long day and my brain is kinda fried.

I just recreated the field in the table and reinserted into the form, thinking that might help, but same error.

There is no query, I am just using this form to add new records to my Users table. I used the Lookup Wizard and made a list, Mr., Mrs., Ms., Miss, and Dr.

I am using short text, 255 characters. Really am stumped on this one.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 18:51
check how many columns your combo has.
if 2, remove the first, and change the number of columns, column widths of your combo.

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
columns are set to 1 and the column width was 1", changed it to 2" and still getting the error. Help!

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
I just did a little experimenting. I switched around the Title field with the Date field and now the Date field is giving me the "Field too small error" and the Title field is not. So, this is telling me that the error is happening to the first field in the form. The Date field has a Date value with a date picker. I thought this newfound information would produce a different solution.

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
Another thought, what if it is giving the error when the autonumbered UserID field is generated. It isn't until I put something into a field in the new record that the UserId is generated. That is the same time I get the "Field to small error". I have a feeling it has nothing to do with the Title field or the Date field, but its the UserId Field generating a number. Its value is set to Long Integer, the only other option is "Replicate ID", not sure what that's for. Does this make sense to anyone???

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I for one will have to bow out. You've been asked twice to post a db copy. If you cannot, you could at least have the courtesy to respond to such suggestions so that we're not repeatedly asking for the same thing, or asking the same questions in order to get answers.
Good luck.

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
Micron,
I apologize for not posting the database, the size is too big to post on Access World. Mike60Smart asked me to post a copy as well, but he left an email address. I did share it with him.

Honestly, this is a lot of important information and I feel a little odd posting it for the whole world to see.

I do appreciate all the help from everyone here on Access World, still a little new to all of this. I'm in college finishing my first degree and also doing a Coding Bootcamp. This project is for a Co-op I am involved in for school. It is a start-up company and there is no-body to turn for help.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I apologize for not posting the database, the size is too big to post on Access World.

When you have an issue with a database that is quite large, or contains some personal/private info, a common strategy is to make a copy of the database and remove most of the data. Focus on a few test records and "experiment" with a few facts/criteria. If it involves a "complex" query, break it into smaller queries and attack the issue systematically/incrementally. If it's related to vba code, then step through code and try to pin point the issue.

You should be testing on a copy of your database after having made at least one backup -things tend to go surprisingly wrong when you test with a live database.

As mentioned, you can post a copy of a test database with only a few records.
You could modify your data in the test database to protect anything personal/private.
Names like Porky Pig, Paige Turner, General Purpose, Owen Money... Central City, Upstate etc. are quite effective -communicate without divulging anything personal.

Also you can anonymize/randomize your data. See this thread for more info on Randomizing your data. If you do Randomize-Make sure you are working with a copy of your database.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom