FIlecopy Problem (1 Viewer)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 07:28
I have an installer database that uses the Filecopy function to copy a link to a database to a user's desktop. The users are on a Windows NT 4.0 machine.

On my computer, I can run this installer and it will copy the shortcut to the desktop, all paths are correct.

Under another computer, with the same Network paths, the Filecopy won't work.

I need many user's to be able to run this installer, this is te code:

Filecopy "C:\Filelink.lnk", "../desktop/filelink.lnk"

It works fine for any machine but one. Any ideas?

Vassago

Local time
Maybe I need to clarify, I get an error when trying to do the filecopy to the user's desktop.

"Path not found"

How can that path not be found? It's a basic path to the user's profile's desktop.

Any ideas?

The user also has full access to create and modify items on their desktop.

WayneRyan

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:28
Vassago,

Shouldn't the file go to:

C:\Windows\Desk Top\SomeFile.ext

Wayne

Vassago

Local time
Thanks for your reply, however...

The database runs on Windows NT 4.0 and is userbased, therefore all users that sign onto the computer have different profiles. The path you specified would be true on Windows 9x/ME, but now with NT/2000/XP. When using the ../desktop/file.ext path, windows automatically assumes it to be the desktop of the user's profile, so will copy it to their profile's desktop. Does that make sense?

Well, this works with everyone except on one computer. I was thinking it's not an access problem, but he can manually paste the shortcut to his desktop, just not using the database.

Any more ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom