Solved Filter Table A by using Table B as filter (1 Viewer)

BuyoyWebDev

Local time
Tomorrow, 02:56
What should I do to filter Table A by using Table B as filter? Any records in Table A that contains words in Table B should be removed in the final list. (please see attached image for more details).
MS Access-page0001.jpg

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
SELECT tableA.[long tail keyword]
FROM tableA, tableB
WHERE (((" " & [tableA].[long tail keyword] & " ") Not Like "* " & [tableB].[short tail keyword] & " *"))
GROUP BY tableA.[long tail keyword];

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:56
If you are looking for only full words, "LIKE" won't work. "Ball" is an example. Dodgeball would match playground ball

Access has no good way to do this. If you have no alternative method, then you need to use VBA. Depending on how many rows you have to match, the most efficient might be to loop through the long table and using Split() create a temp table with a row for each "word" along with the record ID. Then you can match the temp table with the short table and get the IDs of the records you want to delete.

BuyoyWebDev

Local time
where " " & TableA.[Long tail keyword] & " " Not (Like "* " & TableB.[short tail keyword] & " *")
Hi arnelgp,

Thanks for the prompt help.

However, I am getting an error:

Syntax error in query expression 'where " " & TableA.[Long tail keyword] & " " Not (Like "* " & TableB.[short tail keyword] & " *")'

After I close the error message box, the word Not is highlighted.

Attachments

• Syntax error in query expression.jpg
    Syntax error in query expression.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 97

BuyoyWebDev

Local time
Hi arnelgp,

Thanks for the prompt help.

However, I am getting an error:

Syntax error in query expression 'where " " & TableA.[Long tail keyword] & " " Not (Like "* " & TableB.[short tail keyword] & " *")'

After I close the error message box, the word Not is highlighted.
Hi arnelgp,

I tried to change the syntax by adding an ampersand (&) and double quotation mark before the word "Not" and after the last close parenthesis. See the changes below:

select [long tail keyword] from TableA, TableB where " " & TableA.[Long tail keyword] & " " & "Not (Like "* " & TableB.[short tail keyword] & " *")"

But I am still getting an error:

Data type mismatch in criteria expression.

Attachments

• Data type mismatch in criteria expression.jpg
    Data type mismatch in criteria expression.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 103

BuyoyWebDev

Local time
If you are looking for only full words, "LIKE" won't work. "Ball" is an example. Dodgeball would match playground ball

Access has no good way to do this. If you have no alternative method, then you need to use VBA. Depending on how many rows you have to match, the most efficient might be to loop through the long table and using Split() create a temp table with a row for each "word" along with the record ID. Then you can match the temp table with the short table and get the IDs of the records you want to delete.
Thanks Pat for the answer.

Your answer makes sense.

My only concern using VBA is memory overload.

TableA consist of thousand keywords and TableB consist of hundred keywords.

Per record of TableA will loop to the hundred keywords of TableB. And taking into account also that I need to split the keyword of TableA into multiple words.

I will make a test and I will come back to you.

BuyoyWebDev

Local time
Using VBA, what should I do to filter Table A by using Table B as filter? Any records in Table A that contains words found in Table B should be removed in the final list. (please see attached image for more details).

Attachments

• MS Access-page0001.jpg
    MS Access-page0001.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 91

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Memory overload? You're not holding data in memory, you are writing n records for each "word" in the long string. To avoid bloat, I would build the temp table in a temp database.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 13:56
And taking into account also that I need to split the keyword of TableA into multiple words.

What's that mean? In the above example you have a record with "10 inch kickballs for kids"; does that mean you want to have "10", "inch", "kickballs", "for", and "kids" all split out?

If so, do that first then a simple JOIN query will allow you to identify the records comprised of words you want to omit.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
For efficiency, you can discard the noise words and numbers. That reduces the number of rows in the temp table.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:56
I will be honest - but I'm not trying to be harsh. It is just that sometimes being direct comes across as fairly harsh.

Your tables are set up incorrectly for efficiency. Your "string" is being searched as individual words (for filtration) but is not stored as individual words. Technically, this is a normalization error.

The way to fix this is to build a table based on your Table A (that has the long phrases) and make a table APrime that contains the individual words split out so that each record's individual words are recognized. If Table A has something to act as a prime key (PK), say an autonumber or some natural ID number, then APrime would have the PK and one word from A per record. Now add a flag to A to say "Candidate" (for deletion).

Unfortunately, this sort of thing would require the SPLIT function or some other VBA tool to pick apart the words in a VBA recordset-based loop. This would be painfully slow. I don't think a pure query would do this.

If A is the main table, APrime is the split-out table containing AID (A ID) and MatchWord as one of the split-out words, and B is the keyword list...

Query1:

UPDATE A SET Candidate = FALSE ;

Query2:
SELECT A.LongName AS LongName, A.Candidate AS Candidate, APrime.MatchWord AS MatchWord, B.Keyword AS Keyword
FROM A INNER JOIN APrime ON A.RowID = APrime.AID INNER JOIN B ON APrime.MatchWord = B.Keyword ;

Query3:

UPDATE QUERY2 SET Candidate = TRUE ;

Query4:

DELETE * FROM A WHERE CANDIDATE = TRUE ;

Query 1 resets the "candidate" flag in preparation for steps 2 & 3. Query 2 works by doing inner joins to expose A.Candidate for cases where one member of APrime's list of potential matching words matches something in B. So Query2 selects a virtual record that includes one of those unwanted words. Query 3 marks all records revealing a match. Query 4 does the erasure.

In this proposed structure, APrime is like a child table of A and has many records for each A record. So there is a one-many relationship - A (one) to APrime (many).

arnelgp

Local time
Try this:

Code:
SELECT tableA.[long tail keyword]
FROM tableA
WHERE (((tableA.[long tail keyword])
Not In
(SELECT A.[long tail keyword] FROM tableA AS A, tableB AS B
WHERE A.[long tail keyword] Like "*" & B.[short tail keyword] & "*")));

BuyoyWebDev

Local time
I thank you all guys for helping me and the problem was solved.

I selected the solution suggested by Pat Hartman.

To help other MS Access user who have encountered similar problem, I will post below the solution I have done.

Before I proceed, I would like to share my actual objective on this project. My objective is to remove any brand names from Keyword Search Terms. So I have two tables:

1. Table for Keyword Search Term with Primary ID (Autonumber)
2. Table for list of Brands Names that I don't want to be included in the final list of Keyword Search Terms

Below are the high level steps of the process

1. Merge all keywords into one table from various downloads.
2. Create a table that will store search terms candidate for exclusions
3. Create a table free from any brand names
4. Review keywords candidate for exclusions. (Subjective decision - To see any keywords that may still needed to be in the final list)
5. Add selected keywords that you want to add in the table which is free from any brand names.

Most of the steps above were implemented using queries except to step number 2, which I used a function to split the Long Tail Keywords.

Below is the VBA code I used for splitting the Long Tail Keywords.

Code:
Public Function SplitSearchTerm() As Integer
    On Error GoTo Error_Handler

SplitSearchTerm = 0

Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    Dim sSQL As String
    Dim lPK As Long
    Dim sKW As String
    Dim aKW As Variant
    Dim i As Long

Set db = CurrentDb

sSQL = "SELECT tblSearchTerm.SearchTermID, tblSearchTerm.[Customer Search Term] FROM tblSearchTerm"
    Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(sSQL, dbOpenSnapshot)

With rs
        If .RecordCount <> 0 Then

Do While Not .EOF
                lPK = rs!SearchTermID
                sKW = rs![Customer Search Term]
                aKW = Split(sKW)

For i = 0 To UBound(aKW)
                    sKW = aKW(i)

If InStr(sKW, "'") > 0 Then
                        sKW = Replace(sKW, "'", "''")
                    End If

sSQL = "Insert Into tempTableA (ID, Keyword) Values (" & lPK & ", '" & sKW & "');"

db.Execute sSQL, dbFailOnError

Next i
                .MoveNext
            Loop

End If

End With

Error_Exit:
    If Not rs Is Nothing Then
        rs.Close
        Set rs = Nothing
    End If

Set db = Nothing

Exit Function

Error_Handler:
    SplitSearchTerm = Err.Number
    MsgBox Err.Number & "," & Err.Description
    Resume Error_Exit

End Function

Hi Pat,

Special thanks to you. I used your idea to solve my problem.

BuyoyWebDev

Local time
I will be honest - but I'm not trying to be harsh. It is just that sometimes being direct comes across as fairly harsh.

Your tables are set up incorrectly for efficiency. Your "string" is being searched as individual words (for filtration) but is not stored as individual words. Technically, this is a normalization error.

The way to fix this is to build a table based on your Table A (that has the long phrases) and make a table APrime that contains the individual words split out so that each record's individual words are recognized. If Table A has something to act as a prime key (PK), say an autonumber or some natural ID number, then APrime would have the PK and one word from A per record. Now add a flag to A to say "Candidate" (for deletion).

Unfortunately, this sort of thing would require the SPLIT function or some other VBA tool to pick apart the words in a VBA recordset-based loop. This would be painfully slow. I don't think a pure query would do this.

If A is the main table, APrime is the split-out table containing AID (A ID) and MatchWord as one of the split-out words, and B is the keyword list...

Query1:

UPDATE A SET Candidate = FALSE ;

Query2:
SELECT A.LongName AS LongName, A.Candidate AS Candidate, APrime.MatchWord AS MatchWord, B.Keyword AS Keyword
FROM A INNER JOIN APrime ON A.RowID = APrime.AID INNER JOIN B ON APrime.MatchWord = B.Keyword ;

Query3:

UPDATE QUERY2 SET Candidate = TRUE ;

Query4:

DELETE * FROM A WHERE CANDIDATE = TRUE ;

Query 1 resets the "candidate" flag in preparation for steps 2 & 3. Query 2 works by doing inner joins to expose A.Candidate for cases where one member of APrime's list of potential matching words matches something in B. So Query2 selects a virtual record that includes one of those unwanted words. Query 3 marks all records revealing a match. Query 4 does the erasure.

In this proposed structure, APrime is like a child table of A and has many records for each A record. So there is a one-many relationship - A (one) to APrime (many).
Hi The_Doc_Man,

I have implemented a solution based on Pat's idea.

But, I will test your solution and I will let you know of the result.

Thanks for helping.

arnelgp

Local time
For efficiency, you can discard the noise words and numbers. That reduces the number of rows in the temp table.
Having a Temp table is efficient for you?

BuyoyWebDev

Local time
I found a much better way, which will prevent me using VBA codes.

The better way is using Instr() function.

SQL:
INSERT INTO tempTableA ( ID, Keyword )
SELECT DISTINCT tblSearchTerm.SearchTermID, tblSearchTerm.[Customer Search Term]
FROM tblSearchTerm, tblBrands
WHERE ((([B]InStr[/B]([tblSearchTerm]![Customer Search Term],[tblBrands]![Short Tail Keyword]))>0));

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Instr() should have the same problem as LIKE. You will get matches against long words that include the short words, that is why I suggested the method I did.

If you can ensure that every word you want to match will be preceded by a space, you can load the short table with words with one leading space. Then either LIKE or Instr() will work but you'll still have a problem if the long string has a compound word that starts with the short word.

Another code solution is possible if the short table is small enough (a few hundred items) to load into an array. You can write a function that splits the long string into an array. Then match one array to the other. Run the code to load the short array into a global variable. Then use this function in a query. You can have the function return a count rather than true/false so you know how many key words were found for each entry in the long string table. This will probably be a similar amount of code but avoids the temp table. It will also probably be slower than the join method.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I did suggest using a separate db to hold the table to avoid the bloat issue. If I were doing the process in SQL Server, I would use a temp table. And discarding the noise words will increase the efficiency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom