Find works differently for combobox with value list (1 Viewer)

tvanstiphout

Local time
Today, 04:24
The Find feature works differently for combobox with value list and with query. See attached for a form that implements it both ways.
MSFT has indicated they are willing to reconsider that behavior, which is NOT a guarantee it will be changed.
The question is: for the value list scenario, do you like the current behavior where you can search the bound column, or would you rather have it behave like the query list where we always search the display column.
(1) Keep everything the way it is
(2) Make value list comboboxes behave the same as query list comboboxes
I'll take answers all day today, then I'll send the results back to MSFT.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Bug_SearchValueList_TvS.zip
    37.5 KB · Views: 30

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 07:24
Bad example. Get rid of the data macros to make this even testable. And once I did that they both work the same way since the default is as formatted. Good luck with MSFT, but likely few if any people would notice or be bothered by this. I have read 10s if not 100s of thousands of posts on different forums for the last 20+ years and never seen this mentioned once.

Last edited:

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:24
Not something I was even aware of. Don't think I've ever used ValueList combobox that had multiple columns. In fact, probably used ValueList maybe twice. And I have never designed db for users to utilize FindReplace or right click/ribbon shortcut search.

I tested Ctrl+F on each combobox. Both will search on text "Customer" but just discovered the "Search as formatted" option can be toggled only for ValueList and this allows search on PK.

I don't find much value in search on PK, especially an autonumber.

tvanstiphout

Local time
> In fact, probably used ValueList maybe twice.
In fact, probably used ValueList maybe twice.
This is for a large app with SQL Server BE. The ValueList is used extensively to reduce the number of database connections. ValueLists are disconnected, while comboboxes with query list maintain a database connection as long as the form is open.

tvanstiphout

Local time
Bad example. Get rid of the data macros to make this even testable.
Data macros should not come into play as long as the sample is used as intended: open the form, and play with Ctrl+F.

If data macros give you problems when using Northwind 2.0 Dev Edition (where these tables are from), I am all ears (in a different thread).

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 07:24
Code:
The ValueList is used extensively to reduce the number of database connections. ValueLists are disconnected, while comboboxes with query list maintain a database connection as long as the form is open.
Put the list values in a table on front end. If you are pulling these somehow then disconnecting then simply update the table. This is a solution without a problem.

ebs17

Local time
Today, 13:24
play with Ctrl+F
Who needs something like that when the developer offers a programmed form as an interface?

A ValueList could easily be created using the Getstring method of an ADODB recordset.

But I don't know why you need SingleQuotes as a string identifier like in the example

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom