Fixed Date (1 Viewer)

dce719

Local time
Today, 17:59
Can someone please me to set a fixed date on a form. e.g. January 31, 2004. to appear on form whenever the form is open. Will the same formula work on a report? Any help is appreciated.

Chris RR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:59
Fixed date

Is this is a date that never, ever, ever changes, ever? Or is this a date that maybe changes only rarely (yearly???)

If it is a date that only rarely changes, I would put the date in its own table. Then you can use it on multiple forms and/or reports, and when it finally does change, just change that one table. You could do a lookup to find it, or join to it (for example, if its the last date of your fiscal year, the primary key might be year, and you could join based on that).

If it never, ever, ever changes (the company's founder's birthday, and therfore a company holiday???) then it can be hardcoded.

dce719

Local time
Thank you Chris. This is the date of a physical inventory that will never change. Creating a table with the date is a good idea, and what do you mean by making it hard core? Once again, Thank you.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Not "hard core", that's something you hide from the kids. Chris said "hard coded", that means that you use a literal value in your code. You can use the following as the controlsource for the control that shows the date:
=Format(#1/31/04#, "Long Date")

If it's the date of your physical inventory, it sounds like it changes every year and you would be happier with a calculated solution. Is inventory always January 31st or is it the last working day in January? The other question is should the date be the most recent inventory date or should it be the date of the next inventory?

Chris RR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:59
Wow, I've been accused of hard core programming!

Pat is perfectly right about the date. Maybe what you really want is the fiscal year beginning and ending date for your firm, and you will need to keep this year's, and lasts, and you'll want to be able to put in next year's value as soon as accounting figures it out. If you are lucky, it's just one date, and you don't have to worry about anything else, but I've already built a pretty big master calendar like this, once people really thought about what they needed.

One of the other real advantages of putting values like this into a table is that you can then set it up so that one of the users maintains the table...getting you out of the trap of trying to remember that so-and-so's system needs something changed every February 12th (or therabouts).

dce719

Local time
My apologies Chris. I didn't mean to accuse you of "hard core" programming. This inventory date will change at the end of each calendar month. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom