Football fixtures problem (1 Viewer)

DALIEN51

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:33
I know this topic has been done to death previously... but actually I have a unique spin on the problem.

I have developed a crude football management game (just for my own enjoyment not for the world to see) based upon the 4 traditional pro leagues in England (Prem, Champ, L1 & L2) but I need help with the fixtures element.

I want to generate the fixtures as realistically based upon the real fixtures list as possible from the criteria I am aware of (I did a work stint at the Football League so found a few factors out).

I am prepared to pay for this work if someone wants to take it on.

Some of the criteria....

(1) The real fixture list is based upon a technique called sequencing. To explain sequencing...imagine home teams in a round of matches are in Pot-A and away teams in a round of matches are in Pot-B...this pot membership equals one sequence. There are 5 sequences in each of the 4 divisions (this is a mathematical limitation). For each of the 5 sequences teams will move between Pot-A and Pot-B in such a fashion as to allow every team to play every other team. The next issue is dispersing the number of rounds in a division over the 5 sequences. For instance in the Premiership there are 38 rounds of matches which have to be divided into the 5 sequences (I have yet to work out mathematically what restrictions there are on how many rounds can be allocated to each sequence something I would pay to have worked out). A sequence should have at least 4 rounds within it.

(2) I have a Clubs table with a field called "Order" (Order=1=Prem, Order=2=Champ and so on) this will obviously change from season to season

(3) Clubs can have as many as 2 teams they are paired (cannot be at home on the same day) with (all of the scheduling software I have seen only allows 1). If a club and both of it's paired teams are all in the same division then the 2 paired teams can only be allowed to play each other within the sequence which has the fewest number of rounds (to minimise clashes).

(4) For 4 rounds of matches within each division the travelling distance between teams must be minimised (I have the Longitudes and Latitudes of every Club fed into my "Clubs" table) which are then allocated to the festive period. However, within these 4 rounds teams cannot play teams they are paired with ....ie Manchester United will never ever play Manchester City on Boxing Day. The logic the league use for this is that clubs will get bumper gates on boxing day anyway so why waste it on a local derby match when if they are kept separate you have 2 or more bumper gates generated.

There is more but I can discuss that with whoever is interested.

Email me: dalien.51@sky.com

Regards.

catalin.petrut

Never knowing cleric
Local time
Today, 16:33
I dont understand the mechanism for the english fixtures, so i cant even try to help you. But, i have a sugestion: take into consideration not to change the field caled Order. It's possible that you will need to know (for some game statistics at least) in witch division Man U played in the season 2018-2019. I suggest another table with team, season and order fields.
For your other problem, if you dont find anyone to help, we could try to solve it togheter. My email is catalin.petrut on gmail.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:33
complex, when you think about it

try and see if you can find an algorithm for pairing chess players in tournaments.

its the same idea - white, black is the same as home and away. you also restrict the numbers of consecutive whites blacks.

it may help you, as no doubt the FA/Premiership guard their algorithm very closely.

eg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round-robin_tournament

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom