Teams, fixtures, results (1 Viewer)

Rob Stir

Local time
Today, 14:05
Doing a little more research, does each "Fixture" consist of a certain number of "games" or "matches" or "legs"? Does each player play an opponent in a "game" or a "match" or a "leg"? And how does scoring work? These are all things that need to be addressed as well. As you can see, this could get complicated. I know little of this subject, I was just going on what you have told us. I think you need to really think about "Fixtures", "games", matches" and "legs" and what the hierarcy is. Only then, can you begin to develop a real model for tracking these things. ACCESS is very good at tracking stuff, but you better get the tables and realationships correct from the beginning or you will have nothing but problems.

I would take pencil and paper and draw a hierarcy picture of all the parts you need including Seasons, Divisions, Teams, Players, Fixtures, Games, Matches and Legs. Then you can build your model in ACCESS from there. It this point, we are just guessing.
Hi LarryE, The fixture list is a list of which teams plays which for the entire season. The match is the physical game being played on that particular fixture date.
The match comprises 3 games (legs) where the whole team participates and results in a number of wins for the home or away team, namely : 3-0, or 2-1, or 1-2, or 0-3 so 2 text boxes allowing 0,1,2,3 and a rule allowing the the total of the pair to always add up to 3.
Then, 3 doubles games comprise
home players 1 and 2 against away players 1 and 2
home players 3 and 4 against away players 3 and 4
home players 5 and 6 against away players 5 and 6
Then 6 individual games
home player 1 against away player 1...........>> home player 6 against away player 6
I'm considering having separate tables for each of the type of game against the fixture , team and players.
An old scorecard attached to make my rambling a little clearer..
Continuing thanks.

Attachments

• 20220808_232211.jpg
    20220808_232211.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 73

LarryE

Local time
Today, 06:05
Wow. That's complex. For each Fixture then, I think you need separate tables for team and individual Legs for sure. And then for each Leg, separate tables for Team and Individual Scores. At least that is what it sounds like to me. I will see if I can come up with some kind of model.

Rob Stir

Local time
Can leave the legs as a value but thinking tables like:
tblHomeDoubles:
dblID, fixtureID, homePlayer1ID, homePlayer2ID
tblSingles: sngID, homePlayerID

With corresponding tables for away team

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Hi LarryE, The fixture list is a list of which teams plays which for the entire season. The match is the physical game being played on that particular fixture date.
The match comprises 3 games (legs) where the whole team participates and results in a number of wins for the home or away team, namely : 3-0, or 2-1, or 1-2, or 0-3 so 2 text boxes allowing 0,1,2,3 and a rule allowing the the total of the pair to always add up to 3.
Then, 3 doubles games comprise
home players 1 and 2 against away players 1 and 2
home players 3 and 4 against away players 3 and 4
home players 5 and 6 against away players 5 and 6
Then 6 individual games
home player 1 against away player 1...........>> home player 6 against away player 6
I'm considering having separate tables for each of the type of game against the fixture , team and players.
An old scorecard attached to make my rambling a little clearer..
Continuing thanks.
Hi Rob
The picture that you posted appears to be of two scorecards for the same fixture, presumably one from each team.
If that is the case, will you need to record BOTH cards?
Just curious now, but what happens if they differ?

LarryE

Local time
Maybe this table structure could work:
1677619695385.png

1. Each Division has many Teams
  2. Each team has many Players
  3. Each Season has many Fixtures
  4. Each Fixture has many Legs
  5. Each Leg has Results

Last edited:

Rob Stir

Local time
Hi Rob
The picture that you posted appears to be of two scorecards for the same fixture, presumably one from each team.
If that is the case, will you need to record BOTH cards?
Just curious now, but what happens if they differ?
Hi Bob, we take a photo of the score cards from both teams and send to admin. Each team fills in separately and then countersigns each other at the end of the night.
It used to be postal or hand delivered, then it was each team photographed their own, then just the 1 photo with both - supposed to stop any fiddling as you can see immediately any discrepancies

LarryE

Local time
@Rob Stir:
Do you want to keep track of individual players scores or just legs won? Do you need total legs won by each team for each Fixture?

Rob Stir

Local time
@Rob Stir:
Do you want to keep track of individual players scores or just legs won? Do you need total legs won by each team for each Fixture?
just legs won is all that's required but individuals for the single and doubles. Thinking of a doubles tables to keep a track of partnerships

Rob Stir

Local time
Maybe this table structure could work:
View attachment 106705
  1. Each Division has many Teams
  2. Each team has many Players
  3. Each Season has many Fixtures
  4. Each Fixture has many Legs
  5. Each Leg has Results
will have a play with this. Thursday notification email about zipped file has disappeared before I could read!

LarryE

Local time
I need a little more attention to what I'm reading 😄. Cheers LarryE
I am working on a model without the Results tables which is much more simplified. I will post an example of what the input forms might look like tomorrow. I like a good challenge and this is one for sure.

Rob Stir

Local time
I am working on a model without the Results tables which is much more simplified. I will post an example of what the input forms might look like tomorrow. I like a good challenge and this is one for sure.
Haha, it sure is. I'm going right back to basics on YouTube and have ordered
Microsoft access All-In-One guide

LarryE

Local time
Rob:
Here is a file I have been working with. It is much simplified in that it didn't need a Season table and leg results are totalled. For each Fixture you define (Add) just select the Home Team and Away Team. Then for each leg within each Fixture, select a Home player and Away player. When you open the file all records can be viewed. The first Fixture is as if the boys played a Fixture at Buckingham Palace. I have defined only two teams and 3 players each (last names may be familiar). I will leave the defining and viewing of reports to you. I kept the score fields in each form but if you don't need or want them, just remove them from the form. I wasn't sure which individual scores you wanted, if any. Just click the appropriate Win checkbox for each type of "Match".

Attachments

• DartLeague.accdb
    1.8 MB · Views: 69

Rob Stir

Local time
Rob:
Here is a file I have been working with. It is much simplified in that it didn't need a Season table and leg results are totalled. For each Fixture you define (Add) just select the Home Team and Away Team. Then for each leg within each Fixture, select a Home player and Away player. When you open the file all records can be viewed. The first Fixture is as if the boys played a Fixture at Buckingham Palace. I have defined only two teams and 3 players each (last names may be familiar). I will leave the defining and viewing of reports to you. I kept the score fields in each form but if you don't need or want them, just remove them from the form. I wasn't sure which individual scores you wanted, if any. Just click the appropriate Win checkbox for each type of "Match".
Cheers Larry. Just getting ready to go out for a home darts match so will have a good look tomorrow. I've got to say it's been a pleasure getting to know you all on this forum. So to all, especially LarryE, thank you so much for your help

LarryE

Local time
Rob:
Found problems with that file so just delete it if you downloaded it. I will get a new one completed today and attach it.

Rob Stir

Local time
Rob:
Found problems with that file so just delete it if you downloaded it. I will get a new one completed today and attach it.
OK, will do. Yes, saw some errors appearing but love the look and I've learnt a lot from the coding.
Can't wait to see what our league 'chief inputter' says!

LarryE

Local time
Rob:
Try this one. There is a new Fixture date too just for testing. I said before that I was not going to get into the reports but have changed my mind. Reporting is going to be complicated, so I will be testing some reports and get a new file to you in the next few days.

Attachments

• DartLeague - Test.accdb
    1.8 MB · Views: 56

LarryE

Local time
Rob:
This file contains options for printing and searching for fixtures. I had no idea if you wanted to print anything but I just took a wild guess. I have made some modifiacations to tables and forms to help me better understand the whole thing. Maybe you can use this and make the changes you require.

Attachments

• DartLeague.accdb
    2.4 MB · Views: 57

Rob Stir

Local time
Rob:
This file contains options for printing and searching for fixtures. I had no idea if you wanted to print anything but I just took a wild guess. I have made some modifiacations to tables and forms to help me better understand the whole thing. Maybe you can use this and make the changes you require.
I'll have a look Larry. You're having a great time with this 😄. I'm learning such a lot.
Thank you you so much.
I'm about a year behind you. Hahaha.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Rob:
Hi Larrye

I would not agree with your tables "tblTeamSinglesLegs" & "tblTeamDoubleLegs".

Both Contain Repeating Groups?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom