For Colin Essex

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:17
Having never been to England, I can only say that I've heard similar criticisms from others who crossed the pond. However, if the food in Toronto is in any way like the food in England, then perhaps I can appreciate the criticisms more.

jpl458

Local time
Today, 05:17
@ColinEssex

Been there several times, although I never had pizza or rice balls. But Burr is absolutely right about English pubs. They are completely different from USA bars, and a lot better, more civilized. And some of them are really old, like the stone steps are warn down from use. Was in one on the Thames, that Henry the 8th allegedly frequented on occasion while sailing the river.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 13:17
Filthy foul mouthed yank. If you don't like it then bugger off.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Ah, but Col... you are always bashing things about the USA. Isn't turnabout fair play?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Ah, but Col... you are always bashing things about the USA. Isn't turnabout fair play?
Very true. I only saw part of the video, and have no objection to foreigners slagging off the UK. (I do it all the time) It is the disgusting language from a foul mouth yank there is no need for. Should I on rare occasions mention something strange about the USA, I would never use language like that, there's no need for it and it's not clever. It's much better if one is giving a review of somewhere to use constructive comments rather than expletives.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I cannot disagree that his language left much to be desired, but his assessment of the food is fairly clear.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I cannot disagree that his language left much to be desired, but his assessment of the food is fairly clear.
I didn't listen to it all. I heard the first bit, he mentioned rice balls? That's not English food. I didn't hear any more. Anyone who finds that filthy language funny must have a weird sense of humour fit only for the sewer.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I have to admit, Col, that my 28 1/2 years with the Navy exposed me to some salty language - even though it was an office environment. Perhaps I became accustomed to it. I knew it was ... shall we say harsh? But it had lost its shock value I guess. AND for a few years during my time in college, I played music in a smokey little bar on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, definitely not a place to hear the King's English spoken eloquently.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I'm not a prude, I too have been exposed to fruity language, sometimes it's funny.

Look, all I'm saying is this Yankee idiot (whoever he is, he may be famous in the USA) decided to review something, posted it on YouTube where young children can hear it. To my mind, it is a total failure. If you want to review something then fine, but be constructive. Or don't decency values count in America? Or is it too late, like gun control.
Just because we have been exposed to colourful language over our lives doesn't mean we should condone it.

I'm surprised that a foul mouthed clip is allowed on these forums, I've always held you and Jon in high regard. For some reason the clip is directed at me, why ? I have no idea, I would never use that language on these forums. You would ban me or delete the thread, yet you let this filth go.
Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Nice clip Kita, not sure why you posted it though. Seems OK to me.
Col

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 21:17
Perhaps I became accustomed to it.
Doc, I don't want to be rude and it's only based on my personal experience. I may be wrong.
I think it's not only you that is (were) used to using those words. English is a language with a lot of dirty words and the sad point is that they use them a lot of times daily. Watch a movie in English and count how many times you hear those words. You can never see this in any movie in another language.

I've studied a lot of languages in my life. I'm not fluent in any of them, But at least I can grasp the conversation. I've spent more than half of my life with people outside of my native language. I've been with American, English, French, and almost half of Asian countries. But none of them (with my experience, I may be wrong) use those dirty words as much as American.
At least English use bloody instead of Fu**** in most cases.

If you count the number of dirty words someone using in our language in a whole lifetime, it may be less than the count of those words in a single American movie.
Most of those words doesn't even exist in Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Malay ......

Last edited:

KitaYama

Local time
Nice clip Kita, not sure why you posted it though. Seems OK to me.
Col
For not a specific reason. I just wanted to say the same thing can be told on both sides.

On the other hand, I can understand your feelings. And what you said above about using filthy language.
Youtube is filled with clips that American come here and make fun of our culture with those dirty words.

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:17
Has anyone seen movies like Trainspotting, Clockwork Orange or watched comedians like Ricky Gervais?
There are literally hundreds thousand examples of Brits using foul language including the "F-word" and the "C-word." Pretty sure they invented some of them

Words currently considered curse words or profanity were common parlance in medieval English.[18] In the Elizabethan era, some playwrights, like Shakespeare, largely avoided direct use of these words, but others, like Ben Jonson, did use them in his plays.[19] The word fuck was likely first used in English (borrowed) in the 15th century, though the use of shit in English is much older, rooted in the Proto-Germanic word skit-, then evolved in Middle English to the word schitte, meaning excrement, and shiten, to defecate. Another profanity, damn, has its origins in Latin, with the word damnum meaning 'to damage, hurt or harm'.[20]

Last edited:

KitaYama

Local time
@AccessBlaster Thanks for the info. I've not watched them. But I assume they are in English and as I said English language has a lot of those words. No matter it's from which side of the ocean. Though I believe their usage in US is absolutely more than UK.
Outside those titles you mentioned, you're mostly talking about the root of the words, not the daily usage count.

and how many of the following list are movies from Hollywood?

And of course three's a world record too.
2.8 times F-word per minute for a two hours movie.

Last edited:

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Though I believe their usage in US is absolutely more than UK.
Coming from the UK, I doubt it!

However, in the UK, as I am sure is the same in the US, there are folk who swear every other word, and those who never swear at all.

It's often just considered just being lazy to swear indiscriminately in conversation rather than for specific emphasis.

I think nowadays, though, there is much less shock at hearing people swear in general conversation.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You would ban me or delete the thread, yet you let this filth go.
Col

Col, I was heavy-handed in the incident of threatened banning because AT THE TIME, I thought YOU were being more heavy-handed than usual and in a way I interpreted as a personal attack (against another member). THAT is expressly against the rules.

I am trying to be more laid back as a moderator, but when I was a system admin for the Navy, guidelines were tougher. Jon and I have discussed it a few times. I am trying hard to swallow the urge to bash someone pro forma. I'm tending towards simple reminders now.

I also point out that Uncle G is a staff member. I hesitate to act on his posts - particularly since he is also from the U.K. and knows the national level of morality and sensibility far better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom