Foreign Coins (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 00:27
35 years ago I bought 2 bags of foreign coins and threw them in my safe. Recently not being able to travel I decided to see if they are worth anything. I have been checking values on Ebay and Ucoin. Some do seem to have a value. Question 1. Is there a better place to check values on the net? 2. What is the best (safe) way to sell them on the net?

SurreyNick

Local time
Today, 05:27
I can't answer the first part of your question except to say looking at the 'sold' prices on eBay is a good way to evaluate the going rate for your coins. This will differ from the book value but the reality invariably is that something is only worth what people are prepared to pay for it. You will, of course, have to grade them correctly and this is most important.

I have sold quite a number of coins on eBay and have had no problems whatsoever. I make sure my description and grading are accurate and I point out any defects. I also make sure I provide very good quality photographs and I include in my description something along the lines of... "please read the description carefully and look at the pictures to satisfy yourself of what you are buying". For any coins of value I also send them signed and tracked.

I hope this helps.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Thanks for answering. 1. What does signed and track mean (evolve)?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I have found on Ebay what people are asking for a certain coin, but where do I find what they sold for?

SurreyNick

Local time
Oh, in the UK it is the description for the postage service which has tracking and the customer is required to sign receipt upon delivery

SurreyNick

Local time
Here on the left

image2.jpg

Last edited:

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Oh, in the UK it is the description for the postage service which has tracking and the customer is required to sign receipt upon delivery
In the US signature required cost $3.15. On an expensive coin that might be worth it, but for less expensive coins the cost would be prohibitive. Even under your system what would prohibit the buyer from returning a less quality coin to you and saying he doesn’t want it?

I had a friend who was selling Rolex watches and that is what happened to him. In fact he also almost went to jail.

SurreyNick

Local time
Another thing. I never list my coins as an auction. I only ever do 'But It Now' with the 'Make Offer' facility too.

I look at the sold items for the coin I am selling and then list mine at the highest end of the range for the equivalent grade. This way I am not risking selling a coin far below its value and I am offering an incentive for a potential buyer to make an offer if they are reluctant to go the full price. Nevertheless, I am constantly surprised how many people just pay the asking price even when I have the 'make offer' facility active. I generally have a rule of thumb that I will take an offer 80% or more of my listed price and if someone is below this I go back with a counter offer still above the minimum I will accept. The psychology here is that many people who make an offer want to feel they have succeeded at making the winning offer so they will invariably come back again with a lower offer. You are, in effect, making allowance for this.

SurreyNick

Local time
Fair point, but I assumed you were selling coins of reasonable value so postage of three bucks wouldn't be an issue. Anything of value less than UK £20 I don't do tracked and signed, I just do standard mail, which here in the UK is £3.10 for a small parcel and £1.15 for a padded envelope. I have never had any resistance to these prices even for items I list for just £3.00, but this is also the minimum I would ever list an item for because it just isn't worth the effort otherwise. I do sometimes do multiple item sales but these tend not to be as popular as single items.

With my listing I never include P&P in my listing price, I always have it separately. There are two reasons for this. (1) your listing price is more attractive, and (2) I offer combined postage so it makes sense to keep the postage separate. I also only ever charge the actual cost of postage plus eBay's fees on the postage i.e. postage x 1.1115

I have never had someone try to dupe me and return a different item. In fact I have never had someone try and return a coin I have listed. I always tick the listing condition 'used' and 'returns not accepted' also. In these cases a buyer can't return the item unless it's not as described or faulty and if you list your items correctly with good photos a buyer can't return them. Also unless a coin has never been circulated it will always have some mark on it which will show up in a good photo so that makes it very hard for someone to try and dupe you.

All I can say is I have never had a problem, but as with any marketplace there are always risks. I wouldn't dream of encouraging you to do something you are not confident about. It has to be your choice.

SurreyNick

Local time
As a final point I should say I am quoting eBay rules applicable to the UK and also rules of thumb that work for me here in the UK, it may be different for you folks in the US.
If you do decide to give it a go, you could of course just try one or two listings and see how that works for you.
Good luck, whatever you decide.
Nick

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Nick,
Thanks for the help. One last question, (I think), I have hunted all over ebay and even googled for instructions, but still can't find what coins have sold for.
Dick
To others from USA can you add anything to Nick's help that maybe unique to the USA?

SurreyNick

Local time
...I have hunted all over ebay and even googled for instructions, but still can't find what coins have sold for.

Mmm, without seeing what's on your screen Dick it's difficult to advise. When I go on eBay and enter an item in the search box at the top, let's say 'Florin' as an example and then click search, I then get the listings (in list view) and to the left of this screen is a menu section for refining/filtering search results. At the top of this menu section is 'categories' and scrolling down there are filter options specific to the item being searched and then more general filter options such as 'condition', 'price' etc., and there should also be an option section called 'show only' and within this list is the check box for 'Sold items'.

I hope this helps.

Nick

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Mine has none of what you say. Must ben a Yankee thing. <G>

Attachments

• ebay.png
    ebay.png
    232 KB · Views: 100

SurreyNick

Local time
At the risk of contradicting you Dick, the image you posted does have the filter menu on the left that I refer to beginning with 'categories' as I mentioned. If you scroll down and keep an eye on this section of the page you might find what you need.
Nick.

ebay.jpg

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I don't might someone contradicting me, especially if it will help me find or accomplish something. However my wife hates it when somebody contradicts me. She considers it her job. :)

SurreyNick

Local time
...my wife hates it when somebody contradicts me. She considers it her job. :)

Naturally. That's just as it should be and it's a sure sign she loves you. Defends you from others even when you're wrong! LOL
Reminds me of the true art of marital diplomacy.... When having a disagreement with your wife, if you're in the wrong admit it immediately and ask for forgiveness and when you're in the right, keep quiet and shut up :)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:27
Dick can we see an example of your best coin? Maybe a picture on ebay?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Dick,

You need to scroll down?
From ebay.com

1590256530330.png

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Nick,
Thanks for the help. One last question, (I think), I have hunted all over ebay and even googled for instructions, but still can't find what coins have sold for.
Dick
To others from USA can you add anything to Nick's help that maybe unique to the USA?
[/QUOTE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom